Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: My YouTube Piano Contest Video (Chopin 10/1 and Debussy Arabesque 1)  (Read 5947 times)

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Hello friends,

https://www.risingpianofire.com/
My video is on the website and links to the other pianists entering this amateur competition on YouTube - Van Cliburn

It's not too late to enter, the deadline is April 30, 2008 - where's your vid?

We all get a chance to vote (details on web page).
Practice!

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
The only thing I didn't like in Chopin etude is the way you ended it. The arabesque was I think a bit too slow and there was way too much rubato in the beginning and in unstrategic places. Otherwise I think you're quite good!

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Thanks Thierry!  I've been learning lots, and I'm getting lots of info from this forum.  I'm happy to the get the too slow comment :)  I've always been too fast with most everything I play - at least so far. 

It's always hard for me to balance things and get it "just right."  I think that's the real art in piano and any music - it's too hard, too soft, too fast, too ugh!  But to get it just right - would be art and music!

It's been a fun and beginning journey for me. 

Please keep sharing info and tips with me.
Practice!

Offline nyonyo

• PS Silver Member
I think the Chopin Etude is way beyond your technical ability.
Especially for a competition, you MUST play with authority when comes to Etude.

Your Arabesque is too slow, there was no flow. You have to keep the tempo and follow the notation written in the music. Follow exactly what Debussy wrote. Arabesque is deceptively difficult...It does not look difficult, but to play well is not easy. An amateur pianist usually cannot perform this piece well.

Offline pianovirus

• PS Silver Member

???

I don't think this is a fair comment. This was a very good 10/1! I admire your crisp finger articulation (only some exceptions). Also, the crescendos/decrescendos were nicely done (and I'm sure they are even better in reality than through the mics and my cheap speakers). Congrats and good luck for the competition!!
youtube.com/user/pianovirus[/url]

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member

??? Also.

I agree with pianovirus. I think it is a very good performance of an extremely difficult etude.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member

Definitely not as bad as you say. It was not a very fast performance, but it was controlled and clear, that's what matters most.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
I thought you did really well on the Chopin!  I can't play this piece, but if I could  :D, I would perhaps do it a little less forcefully all the way through.

Your Debussy needs a more diaphanous quality--it sounds too "solid", for want of a better word.  More dreamy, make more dynamic contrasts. 

Best of luck for the VC! 
Teresa

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member

Your Arabesque is too slow, there was no flow. You have to keep the tempo and follow the notation written in the music. Follow exactly what Debussy wrote. Arabesque is deceptively difficult...It does not look difficult, but to play well is not easy. An amateur pianist usually cannot perform this piece well.

You clearly dont know what you're talking about. For an amateur it is a very good performance (although i couldnt hear it clearly enough because of the recording equipment). But definitely not 'way beyond' his technical ability.

I agree with your second comment though. Debussy should be played much more freely, but with a very clear melody 'flow'. I gues he's not used to playing debussy, nor his teacher (?)

But keep on the good work, and go have a 'musical' look at the debussy piece ;)

gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline dnephi

You did a great job, and you will be the favorite of many. 

I wish you the best of fortune and success in your pursuit of music. 
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert