Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: March to school on first day of class - Improv  (Read 4312 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
March to school on first day of class - Improv
on: September 10, 2008, 09:50:13 PM
Looking back with a bit of humor and irony.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: March to school on first day of class - Improv
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:50:27 PM
That must have been quite a sort of school :o Very impressive and "dark" 8) march to where actually? :) It's fascinating how you keep that march character throughout the whole piece. Some Rach reminiscences appear in my mind, like the preludes in g minor and f minor. I like particularly the part at 5:00 in the high register. As always: a fascinating listening experience!

P.s hee hee still listening after 30 min., seems to catch me!

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:03:13 AM
This is great! I love the harmony changes, intensity and darkness of this one. I like the march feel!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:32 AM
This is very good indeed. The title reminds me that prescribed images are a trap at the best of times. I never set out for school with such resolution, I assure you. As wolfi asks, what on earth sort of school did you attend ? An academy for orcs and trolls ? Hogwarts ? A school for initiates in the black arts perhaps ? The Temple of Thelema with Aleister Crowley ?

I could readily envisage columns of giant, devouring insects. Tell you what, it would be a ripping good movie soundtrack. Peter Jackson could have put it to sterling use for the Uruk-hai at Helm's Deep - way better than whatever was used in the film that's for sure.

My first day at school ? Nowhere near it I'm afraid ! But how marvellous it is that abstract sound can engender contrasting but valid images in different minds. Real magic.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:00:48 PM
quantum you are friggin sickkkkkkkkkkkk at improvising man! it was great.

4'10 reminded of those classic "horror movie" violin sounds

peace
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 03:34:17 PM
ha ha... this makes me want to go sit down at the bench  :P.  *listens carefully*

Well, of course the dark tones, as others have commented on, is a large impression of the piece.  I definitely enjoy what seems like your sense of freedom in your expression, with the underlaying and steady bass notes and the flurry(ing) notes on top (I feel like I have to invent words to describe my impressions of music -- the words sound so dry, I think, to just talk about it the way that I have.  The words and their description are almost nothing like what my experience in listening *feels* like).

Thanks for posting this :)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:19:20 AM
This is really something.  Unrelenting intensity.  This has really struck me. 
It has really opened things up.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 11:06:55 PM
Hi quantum,

You always amaze me with your wonderful playing.  And now this highly creative improvisation--it is one the best I've ever heard in this forum.  Excellent!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:21:41 AM
And the coda at 6:05 where you return with the main theme is full of
power and excitment.  Fantastic.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 06:07:36 PM
Interesting, not what I was expecting, it contains the same basic texture as "Ever Present Ceiling Fan" or something like that from a while back. Seems that this whirling perpetual motion motif is linked to things you resent or don't like....  ;)

So when are you going to midi these into Sebelius or Finale and print them for the world? You really should, your music is wonderful.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 03:28:13 PM
I was inspired by this, thanks for sharing  :)
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert