Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: piano related movies  (Read 26577 times)

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
piano related movies
on: January 17, 2009, 03:41:28 PM
hi there
anybody knows some piano related movies.ie piano composers or piano players biography ?
eg :piano (1993)
impromptu(1991)

thanks for help

Offline healdie

• PS Silver Member
Re: piano related movies
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:06:15 PM
the pianist is a good one although it is not really a composers biography and the piano is sort of a secondry theme in the film

It tells the story of Władysław Szpilman a polish Jew and how he surivied the Holocaust
"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit, Genius is hitting a target no one else can see"

A. Schopenhauer

Florestan

Offline allthumbs

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:09:09 PM
Here are a few piano related movies.

Amadeus (1984) *****
Director Milos Forman and starring Tom Hulce, F. Murray Abraham

The Pianist (2002) ***** (already mentioned by healdie)
Director - Roman Polanski and starring Adrian Brody

The Piano (1993) ***** (your suggestion)
Director - Jane Campion and starring Holly Hunter, Harvey Keitel, Anna Paquin

Piano for Mrs. Cimino (1982) **** (Not sure if it has anything to do with a piano other than the title.)
Director George Schaefer and starring Bette Davis, Keenan Wynn

The Piano Lesson (1995) ****
Director Lloyd Richards and starring Charles S. Dutton

The Piano Teacher (2001) **1/2
Director Michael Haneke and starring Isabelle Huppert, Annie Girardot

There are others but I can't think of them at the moment.

Source: 'DVD and Video Guide 2007' by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter

I hope that helps.
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 06:09:46 PM
There is shine wich is the story of David Helfgott. If you forget the fact that the movie is quite different from the real story and that it's made for people who don't really know music at a high level, then I think it's a very good movie! I myself tought for some time that rach 3 was the ultimate goal anybody could achieve ... haha

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:11:28 PM
hi, there!
besides allthumbs excellent post, i'll suggest the reading of some related threads:

movies featuring pianists?

list of piano movies

best piano related film?

btw, there are others. you can find them using the search feature.
best!

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:32:46 PM
The only good sincere film about music that I´ve seen so far that doesn´t get stuck in clichés or romanticize it is Five easy pieces with Jack Nicholsson.
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:29:13 AM
The latest which i seen was Immortal Beloved, the life of Beethoven of how he rise and fell and his romances and the questionable "immortal beloved"  :-*
the metranome is my enemy

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 03:57:35 PM
The only good sincere film about music that I´ve seen so far that doesn´t get stuck in clichés or romanticize it is Five easy pieces with Jack Nicholsson.
dear petter:
that's a movie i must see. i heard about it a couple of times, but forgot to actually see it. thanks for the idea.
best!

Offline shingo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:04:52 PM
Has anyone managed to find Vitus anywhere? I have been looking for it.

If anyone has seen it what do they think of it?

Richter the Enigma is a documentary on Sviatoslav Richter which comprises of an interview with him in which he reflects on his life intercut with lots of concert footage etc. I love this and have watched it so many times, I have the DVD but I think it is still on google video if you search. It's in two parts each over an hour long.

Dare I mention, Lang Lang - Dragon Songs? Again a documentary/interview with him. I own this also but you may have to purchase this as I think has been taken off youtube now. I find it nice to watch.

There is one final one I know of which is called Great Pianists of the 20th Centuary which covers numerous pianists.

See here for some of the links (if they are still working): 'click'

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 05:29:21 PM
impromtu was great i loved that movie... was the first time i heard fantasie impromtu in the credits.. that really opened my mind up, and i have never been as excited about hearing a new piece before or after that. GOSh i would like to relive that level of hapiness!

Offline sheena

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 06:57:55 PM
Secret - A  Taiwanese movie about two piano students who fall in love. Although it may be excessively romantic, and with a touch of supernatural elements I can't help but really like this movie.

Offline lacerdachn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 01:10:58 PM
Good afternoon! ;D
First ico glad I registered on the site!
Sorry for bad English! :o
I was looking for a movie that I can not remember the name
rises was a piano teacher who married older fell in love with a student, and in the end she dies of terminal illness, that very moment was watching television in your student to play one of his letters ...
I think it was more or less like this ... I know that I enjoyed and liked to share with someone again ...

with best regards!

Lacerda Chan ;)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 04:46:07 PM
Competition.  One of the worst films ever made.   I remember a bunch of us from school went to see it, and hooted and screamed through the whole movie.  I think Amy Irving was the principle actress.  Anyone else remember it?

Offline lacerdachn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:17:01 PM
Hello Birba, the movie you are looking for is called The Competition (1980)!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080556/

Please someone could help me regarding my request??
Thank you! ;)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:17 PM
Lisztomania ftw!

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 03:19:45 PM
A pianist should avoid watching the movie 'The Piano'. The ending is just way too horrible for us finger-fetishists.
1+1=11

Offline ingunite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 02:00:42 AM
Here is a piano-related movie, perhaps not based on an actual story... 10,000 Fingers of Dr.T. Great fun!
On a more serious note, there are dozens of very enjoyable Hollywood movies from 1940s dealing with fictitious pianists in a very romanticized manner: Nocturne, Interlude, Humoresque, etc... All made featuring the great actors of the golden age of Hollywood.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 05:34:47 AM
What about "page-turner"?  One of the most ridiculous films to come out of France in the past 30 years.

Offline steviesteps

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 09:59:36 PM
How has Madame Sousatzka been skimmed over?  If only all piano teachers could be like that :l

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 10:03:28 PM
But she did not care for Rachmaninov.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline claude_debussy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 08:53:40 PM
Favorite piano movie:

"Impromptu" is the best movie about classical music, ever, particularly because it skewers pretension, endemic to the field, and because the playing in it is exquisite.  Hugh Grant at 20 as Chopin, Judy Davis as George Sand, and a perfect cast, brilliant screenplay, gorgeous production and humorous - very humorous - while giving the gang of geniuses its due -

Guilty pleasure favorite:

"The Beast with Five Fingers," Peter Lorre et al -

IMDB: "Locals in an Italian village believe evil has taken over the estate of a recently deceased pianist where several murders have taken place. The alleged killer: the pianist's severed hand."

If you've never tackled the Brahms transcription of the Bach Chaconne, here's some inspiration ..

cheers, Claude 

Offline rafant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 10:12:31 PM
"Copying Beethoven", a 2006 film, with Ed Harris as the composer; here copying stands for the manual transcription of sheet music. Very nice movie.

"Pride & Prejudice", and "Sense & Sensibility", wonderful movies, from Jane Austin's novels, where piano lovers can enjoy easy, non virtuous, but lovely piano music.

"Pretty Woman", here Richard Gere plays his own composed, jazz-like piece.

Two Tom & Jerry cartoons: Tom plays the Blue Danube vals in "How to play the vals in six easy lessons" and a Liszt´s Hungarian Rhapsody in "The Cat Concerto". Both are easily available in YouTube. Wonderful memory of my childhood.

"Little Women": I´m not sure if the 1933 or 1949 version, but at the end of the film, there is a piano solo of the fine Tchaikovsky's song "None but the lonely heart", and made me such an impression that it was one of the first pieces I learnt when I could, many years later.

Offline grasten

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:43 AM
vitus (2006) but its not exactly just about music, its about one prodigy kid who plays piano , but being honest i didnt like

Offline rubygazelle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 03:40:05 AM
The Legend of 1900, starring Tim Roth--about a boy who was born on a cruise liner and turned out to be a piano prodigy. Gimmick: He never leaves the ship.

Really great storytelling in the movie, though. And an epic piano duel between the main character and Jelly Roll Morton.

Best line: "F*** the regulations."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert