Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Sorabji Opus Clavicembalisticum - Fantasia  (Read 8388 times)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Sorabji Opus Clavicembalisticum - Fantasia
on: January 20, 2009, 05:22:06 AM
Here is a midi I made several years ago when I studied this movement of the OC (since no good recordings existed and I wanted to hear what it sounded like). Some errors not that anyone without the score would notice ;) This is one of my favorite parts of the OC. I find it enjoyable to watch notes play across the screen on a MIDI especially for more complicated stuff.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline yuc4h

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sorabji Opus Clavicembalisticum - Fantasia
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:37:03 AM
That actually sounded kinda cool :­D

I took the liberty to resample your midi to make it more pleasant to listen to.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:43:05 AM
Hey thanks for that sounds very neat although a bit different ;) ! To accent notes I put 2 notes in the same position, it causes a louder sound in the midi. The sample seems to make these note staccato in places for some reason.
www.pianovision.com

Offline Etude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:05:04 AM
That can be avoided by placing the two notes in a different MIDI channels, but with actual samples theres not much need for the extra notes.

Oh, and cool MIDI.  :)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:38:10 PM
As many of us here know, Jonathan Powell's long-awaited recording of OC has yet to be made and, just for the record, I should therefore point out here (for the benefit of those interested) that it will be delayed somewhat by the fact that a new corrected typeset edition of the score will first be prepared (by Simon Abrahams, who has already edited other Sorabji works, principally the one which almost immediately precedes it, the Fourth Piano Sonata) and this will itself obviously occupy no small amount of editorial time; the source material used will include copies of the autograph ms., the proofs for publication and the composer's heavily annotated (by hand) "working copy" of the publication. This is a task well worth accomplishing, although it is, of course, a pity that it will inevitably mean that we will all have a considerably longer wait than we otherwise would for Jonathan's recording of the piece. As no small compensation in the meantime, however, Jonathan plans to begin scheduling performances of Sorabji's 27-movement Sequentia Cyclica, the first 13 of whose movements he premièred in London last month; I have little doubt that he will get to record this work before he records OC, but since Sorabji considered it (rightly, I think) to be one of his best, we have much to which to look forward.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline wise0404

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:55:37 AM
OC is great ;D ;D ;D

Offline Steffen Fahl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:33:34 PM
Just for sure, you did not really meant you have played this midi with your fingers. You know yourself that this is just a totally unformed sequence of the notated pitches and tonelength.
As such it might be a nice work, since if you scanned it with smartscore, there were presumably still some corrections to do to get a midi like that.
But If you pretend, you might programm also all musical necessary refinements than I would say Ok go on and give us an example of your midiprogramming skills.
best
Steffen

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:44:38 PM
fahl5 unlike you I don't try to pretend that I played this midi with my my own fingers. This is sequenced and I clicked in every individual note, pretty much what you do too but you wont admit it. If you would like to listen to midi recorded by real fingers please listen to my improvisations. https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,9533.0.html
In this post you can see I admit I play these with my real fingers on real keys and I have fully explained how I did it, unlike yourself.

I don't see how my midi is uninformed because I reinforce certain lines which are of failure of being heard if you do not.
www.pianovision.com

Offline Steffen Fahl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 12:00:10 AM
fahl5 unlike you I don't try to pretend that I played this midi with my my own fingers. This is sequenced and I clicked in every individual note, pretty much what you do too but you wont admit it. If you would like to listen to midi recorded by real fingers please listen to my improvisations. https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,9533.0.html
In this post you can see I admit I play these with my real fingers on real keys and I have fully explained how I did it, unlike yourself.

I don't see how my midi is uninformed because I reinforce certain lines which are of failure of being heard if you do not.
OK I saw now, this was a language mistake on my side, since I dont knew the meaning of "bar sorabji" as you used it. But nevertheless. My posting was not at all meant as spamming, but just outlines the strength of your scanned sorbji and the work which waits to be done, which means to make the pure sequence speak musically.
best
Steffen
b
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert