Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart - Alla Turca  (Read 7860 times)

Offline dickreuter

• PS Silver Member
Mozart - Alla Turca
on: March 01, 2009, 04:10:15 PM
Any constructive comments are wellcome!

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart - Alla Turca
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:26:15 AM
Dick, you play the rondo clearly and articulately.  Two suggestions:  I think the pedal is best used as a punctuator here and there, and so I would remit the pedal in the main theme; then in measure 36 I would make sure that is piano. 

I worked on the Rondo when I was in high school and played it for my senior recital.  Now I play it every once in awhile.  It needs polishing to bring it to where I'd like it to be, so sometime I may post it.  This is not an easy piece to pull off, especially the coda.  Nice job!
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline pbhattac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:35 AM
Launched a new topic for my question

Offline priscilla_leen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:47:25 PM
Hi,

Its always necessary to practise in small segments, especially the part where you're not very familiar with and tend to slow down. always start practising from slow and evenly throughout the piece, using a metronome.

Throughout the end of a phrase, it is ALWAYS necessary to soften on the last note. Otherwise it will be a leg sticking out of the melody phrase.

Listening consciously to what you're playing is very important, which I think you weren't that good in listening. Cause what you think the audience can't hear and tend to ignore it, actually they hear it very clearly, since they're the audience!

Lets start from first part, the first 25 bars, the first bar is started softly to give a sense of introducing to the piece. and its p dynamic. I think you just ignored throughout and mistakenly think that this piece should be played loud. Yes its marching and Turkish and dancing, but don't get excited together with this piece.

From bar 10 if I'm not mistaken, there is a repetition. You can make it into 2 phrase by playing the first 2 groupings loud, then the repetition soft. Always don't play the repetition the same way, why do you think the composer written something repetitively? Its to give variation to the piece. If someone repeats the same thing twice or 4 times while he is speaking, isn't it weird? Please give it a more leading sense of direction going towards the lower key, B-D and G#-B in the repetition.

I can hear that you're very enjoying while playing this piece, but there are still plenty of works to be done especially on the listening habit, and the shaping of the melody line. Shaping won't take place without proper listening skills and self awareness. When you're playing a 2 notes or a chord, the top note should always be louder than the lower notes, this means independence of the fingers and take a good teacher, lots of effort and practise to make this right.

The LH part - when it comes to thrills, use more rolling of wrists, firm fingertips, and roll it fast to give an impact. Use more strength from upper arm, keep arm relaxing. and only pedal down on the last note of the thrill.

There are many more minor mistakes that add up together and it will take me forever to explain to you, so far, just this much. All the best luck to you and may your wishes come true!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:40:58 PM
Hi priscilla,

I don't know if you noticed, but dickreuter posted this piece on March 1, 2009 and according to his profile never revisited this forum after that date. So unfortunately it's unlikely he'll be replying to your feedback.

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert