Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Centuries: Towards the light  (Read 2500 times)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Centuries: Towards the light
on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:46 AM
This is an improv I played in Nov. 2007. For a while I put it into my archive, because I thought that it sounded rather random, but then I started to work on my new program "Centuries" and remembered it, listened again and now it's the final piece of the program.

It took me quite a while to see the potential of the piece. As soon as I am up to par I will post the edited version. Actually it's not only the final piece of "Centuries" but also the final piece of my previous program "Styx" and "Centuries" if you see them as two parts of the same bigger thing. The final piece of "Styx" left something unresolved....

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Centuries: Towards the light
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:58:53 AM
If the amount of time it took for you to see the potential in this piece caused you in any way to fear that the first impressions of others would mimic your first impressions instead of your later conviction, have no fear! It is very much in your world and I like it. It flows like a river, has a nice rise and fall, and the final three minute section is both structurally appropriate and indeed fulfilling.

I will now have a look at your link.

(I'm pretty sure this is my first post to this new section. I've been gone for quite a time)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:51:37 AM
This is great, i like the way it slowly builds and keeps suspence throughout. You have a great talent in improvising.
keep it up

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 01:19:46 PM
Thanks to both of you for listening and commenting :) Yeah, Furtwängler, I noticed that you haven't been here for a while, as always your comment is very encouraging and i remember once you talked about a "healthy complexity" in my music, which I'd like to use as a shameless advert on my programs someday, If you agree ;D I see now that Nils has installed an mp3 player on the site, that's cool, thank you Nils :) @chopinatic, that's good to read, if the suspension can be kept in a piece of this length it's actually advantageous. Though, in the final version I have made a few little cuts. And the third subject is more present in the last section, which I intended to do anyway while improvising but there were just too many notes around :P so it remained a bit scetchy.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 03:24:38 AM
Hi wolfi,

Every time I listen to one of your improvisations, I come away feeling that you've set a program within a deep, expansive, complex and colorful tone poem for piano.  "Toward the Light" is no exception.  This is excellent! 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:21:36 AM
Hi wolfi,

Every time I listen to one of your improvisations, I come away feeling that you've set a program within a deep, expansive, complex and colorful tone poem for piano.  "Toward the Light" is no exception.  This is excellent! 

Hi Rachfan :) Thanks for the compliments! It fits exactly my intentions. I'm practicing this piece, it's quite a thing :P, today is the concert.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 01:02:53 PM
pianowolfi:   When I first started to listen to your improv, I could hardly hear it, even with full volume. And  I wonder if the other members had that similar problem.   However, your improv did build up, and  it gave me the impression of feeling lost while  going towards the light.  There was not much melody, although some passages were very nice.  You have a nice touch on the keyboard, by the way.   = )
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 03:25:02 PM
pianowolfi:   When I first started to listen to your improv, I could hardly hear it, even with full volume. And  I wonder if the other members had that similar problem.   However, your improv did build up, and  it gave me the impression of feeling lost while  going towards the light.  There was not much melody, although some passages were very nice.  You have a nice touch on the keyboard, by the way.   = )

Hi go12_3  :)Thanks for listening and commenting! I will try to post another file, going to increase the volume. Now I need to run :P

P.s. if you like to listen to something with more melody, you might listen to "In the piece of the night" or "Elegy" or "sympathy 1/2" from Styx if you wish. They're on the index ( the one of pianostreet not the church lol  ;D )

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:50:34 PM
Wolfi,

I sense a huge awareness of time and space.  I think it fits very well with your creations of Styx and Centuries.  I've skimmed through your website, and plan to read it in detail. 

How did the March 14 performance go? 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:07:33 PM
Wolfi,

I sense a huge awareness of time and space.  I think it fits very well with your creations of Styx and Centuries.  I've skimmed through your website, and plan to read it in detail. 

How did the March 14 performance go? 

Hi Quantum, thanks for your comments! Yeah time and space are a big subject for me at the time. The concert was very nice, for a first performance it went quite well, but I keep working on the program, since I was not content with everything. The reception was very good, people could relate very much to the music and I got some really interesting feedback afterwards. The whole program lasts abot 1 hour and 15 min. but it felt like only 5 min. to me :P Whereas in some other concerts it felt like an eternity :o I think I'm on the right path with this one, but there is still a lot of work to do. And I'm angry because I didn't have really time enough to practice, but it's my fault because I have planned a bit too short-term :P 

@go12_3 I have checked the thing with the volume and at the time I find no way to get a louder version without causing undesirable side effects. But, are you per chance listening via laptop speakers? these are never loud enough. I use headphones or my stereo and I actually need to turn the volume down during the forte passages.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert