Piano Forum logo
October 31, 2014, 11:16:22 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Live Streamed Piano Recital with Murray McLachlan

A new piano recital series has been launched in Stockholm this fall. The first recital, with pianist Peter Jablonski took place on September 15 and today, you can hear British pianist Murray McLachlan play live from The Royal Academy of Fine Arts. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Piano levels and degree  (Read 15100 times)
jeffw88
PS Silver Member

« on: April 03, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »

Hi, I've been paying piano for long time, on & off for about 10 years. 
I usually play the song I want, so I learn it myself with notes.
But I was wondering what's the official piano levels are there?
Can you give an example for each level?
What do you need to do get an official teaching degree?

Thanks in advance.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
lostinidlewonder
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:57:31 AM »

List all the pieces you play and im sure we can give you some grade level for each.... Although it doesn't really mean much. To get a degree in teaching depends on which music school your country promotes.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
mc_shas
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:17:22 PM »

Well in England there's the ABRSM grades which are probably the most popular (although trinity and Guildhall grades are a good rival) They go from 1 to 8 and it's sort of genrally considered that after grade 8 you can start teaching (the idea is a bit random tho). I know Debusy's second Arabesque was in the Grade 8 ABRSM syllabus a few years back but there where probably some slightly harder pieces as well and they would also expect a high level of musical understanding for grade 8. You also get technical exercises and general musician ship (aural skills and stuff). Most Universities require you to be approximately grade standard or better to get on to their bachelors music degree (at least any that have a half decent music department). After thos grades there's things like the performance diploma and I think the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight was in it one year. Beyond that (if you good enough) it's Masters degree and competitions.

I'm around grade classical but play jazz as well and I teach beginners or more advanced classical students that want to learn jazz. Is this what you where asking? Hope that helped.
db05
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 06:47:02 AM »

The grading of the pieces on this site would give you an idea. Also try:
http://pianoforum.net/Graded_Pieces_All.xls
(An amazing  Shocked spreadsheet of graded pieces, compiled by Torp, of most pieces mentioned on this forum to date)

I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body
silverchair87
PS Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 08:02:30 PM »

There's also the option of doing teaching diplomas instead of a degree, but again that probably depends where you come from. The ABRSM and Trinity College offer the "best" most popular diplomas in the UK, and they both offer diplomas in performance as well. You don't have to go to university or a conservatoire to get a diploma and they are generally considered to be of around the same level as various stages in a degree, ie:

(Trinity College) ATCL is level to 1st year in a degree course
                       LTCL is level to 3rd year in a degree course
                       FTCL is level to a postgraduate degree etc etc

You'd be best hunting around for the best options for you, good luck! Smiley
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02:29 AM »

The grading of the pieces on this site would give you an idea. Also try:
http://pianoforum.net/Graded_Pieces_All.xls

Quick question - which grading system are they graded against - the ABRSM? AMEB? Trinity?

I only ask because I know that in the Australian AMEB is considered more difficult than the ABRSM's grade pieces... e.g. - The ABRSM lists Franck's Chorale, Prelude & Fugue as FMus (Fellowship of Music) grade... while the AMEB lists it as only LMus (Licentiate of Music - which is easier than the Fellowship).

But it's still an impressive list.
db05
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »

It must've been mentioned earlier, but I forgot the thread that had the graded pieces. Sorry. (I don't do grades.)

I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: