Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Twenty-five minutes  (Read 2282 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Twenty-five minutes
on: June 27, 2009, 11:25:53 PM
Twenty five

Here stands exactly 25 minutes of life recorded just beyond a year ago, mostly involving a beat up old Yamaha Clavinova with two dead keys and more sticking keys, all this breaking into a process of changing from one space to another.

...great tension mounting and releasing in shattering chords, crushing the poor little themes which spin up (A tornado that throws fragments and themes around the earth?)...And a surprise thrown into the mix, indeed lots of very different surprises not of my own creation, but generating responses of my creation - among these, the introverted cockatiel, Moonbeam, who decides to become a part of the dramatic fabric, elevating these 25 minutes to an epic status - an utterly unique and rare soundscape which can never be repeated away from the recorded events.

There's the intro and now, a couple names and a layout. After discovering the recording and burning it to CD, I wrote on the sleeve, "Rest and Disrest - The AM July 26th 2008 quest for a bed - A rather, maybe a little bit violent improv." Later, I gave the much more logical name, "Prelude and Nachtmusik." Having so much life involved, I decided to keep on that last little bit of conversation and cut it at exactly 25 minutes, thus I've chosen the most appropriate name.

The lay of the land:

1) First 4 minutes is the Prelude.
2) About a minute and a half of conversation
3) Nachtmusik- The bulk of the music, lasting a little under 18 minutes, and formed sort of like a hurricane, the sparse, rare, calm, and oddly beautiful eye of the storm coming in the middle of two violent, stormy sections, waves of the storm surge pounding the shore (but not without humour).
4) That last bit of conversation leading up to 25 minutes.

Dave

https://www.mediafire.com/?uummznw2zjg

A slightly higher bitrate^
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Twenty-five minutes
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:03:39 PM

Very capturing too me, the first few mins "the prelude" made me want to carry on. It was mysterious and not very revaling, making me want to unravel the rest of it. And i was not dissapointed. It had alot of creative flow here.

Great improvisation

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:34:01 PM
Woah momma, I'm a madman!  :o

I was going to re-present this at some point in the two sections, "Prelude and Nachtmusik," cutting out all that conversation, which is amusing in its own way. ("Would you like some chocolate covered raisins?") But I got lax and lazy and let it slip away.

I had to do some quick editing of the originally introductory post. This whole thing is crazy, but really I do identify with the strange world (the music) created in this strange world.

I can't believe you found it and dug it up, Chopinatic! And thanks for the nice comment!    :)

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:37:27 PM

I had to do some quick editing of the originally introductory post. This whole thing is crazy, but really I do identify with the strange world (the music) created in this strange world.

I can't believe you found it and dug it up, Chopinatic! And thanks for the nice comment!    :)

I really like the "Strange world" you comment on. It shows we really can use our imaginations and push them to the limits in music. Creating any kind of world, a retreat, a realm where everything you feel and want to share is expressed.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:48:43 PM
And surely spontaneity exists in many forms. The strangest phenomenon in this particular world is that bird! Have you ever accompanied an actual bird? lol! This is why even if on bad equipment I think people ought to record their improvisations at least for themselves, because it cannot b predicted what spontaneous, unique, absolutely unrepeatable thing with will be preserved.   

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:01:28 PM
because it cannot b predicted what spontaneous, unique, absolutely unrepeatable thing with will be preserved.   

Preserved and floating around in time. Music that has never been heard before that holds many secrets and emotions should be captured as you say even if just for yourself.

Sharing them is great also, posting them online preserving them hoping after your gone people can still hear a part of you and a part of the past in your music

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:14:52 AM
I enjoyed the prelude. I loved the dark and intense mysterious atmosphere of it. Sometime soon I'll listen to the rest of the piece!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert