Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Call of the Night  (Read 3134 times)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Call of the Night
on: July 07, 2009, 07:05:51 AM
Here is something different from the style of my previous improvs.  The night calls. . .  
Enjoy.

Yamaha M302 with the Edirol R-09 HR.

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Call of the Night
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:27:05 AM
It is very calm and atmospheric, almost in the sense of Respighi. (If you've ever heard any of his frozen, tranquil soundscapes with open chords and sparse textures - some of the songs fit the bill -than you may know what I mean.) But it is good for the night, and another long, late night it is. I like your piece. You should post more.  :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:22:00 AM
Thank you, Furtwaengler. :)  I'm glad you like it.  I'll have to check Respighi out.  It's been awhile since I posted an improv.  I've been wanting to wait until I reach another level, but I sat down to experiment the other night, and this came out.  I've been thoroughly enjoying your improvs.  I would like to produce some in the lengths you have.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:58:47 AM
Hi goldentone,

This is a very good improv in my opinion, having listened to it twice.  The piece seems to have a restless searching quality, also with some moments of dark intrigue.  There even seem to be touches of exotica too.  Some of the chord changes in the accompaniment are quite colorful adding harmonic flair and interest in their own right.  I thoroughly enjoyed listening!

Nice job!

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:56:50 AM
Hi Rachfan,

Thank you for your comments!  I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)  Having people really enjoy one's music makes it all the worthwhile.

Offline ahbach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:51:14 PM
Oh this is truly amazing!!! I throughly enjoyed this piece!!! Oh wow you are truly talented!!! I give it an A+  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 05:24:49 AM
Thank you, ahbach.  I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:36 PM
Finally I can listen to this :)

Yes it's certainly different from your previous improvs, and that's interesting, I think you are developing your own style, you're on the way to being able to "say" something that only you are able to say :)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 05:21:54 AM
Hi Wolfi,

Thank you for your comments. :)  The possibility of creating anything I want excites me tremendously.  I guess we'll see what comes next. :)

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:59:23 PM
Atmospheric with some great harmonys. It’s a very interesting piece. Good work

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:20:34 AM
I'm really enjoying this as I write this. I'm a sucker for dark atmosphere and you really capture that here. I love some of the very dark, tolling sections. Gives me similar feelings to Ravel's gaspard de la nuit, le gibet. Is that a baby grand out of curiosity? It sounds a lot like a piano I recorded on in early 2005, at a corporate sponsors' reception at college. It was maybe 5'2". It sounded very similar to this piano. It was a Young Chang I believe.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 07:50:18 AM
Thanks, Chopinatic. :)

I'm glad you liked "Call", Derek.  And I like the tolling description.  It's nice to hear that my piano came off as possibly a baby grand, but it's an upright, a Yamaha M302.  I'm ready to record a new improv, for it's been since summer.  Thanks for listening. :)        
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert