Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Best editions of Rachmaninoff piano concerto no.3  (Read 9020 times)

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
what are the best editions of Rachmaninoff piano concerto no.3?

thanks in advance,
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline quirky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best editions of Rachmaninoff piano concerto no.3
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:05:02 PM
ell I would have to say the Urtext but I am just a HUGE fan of their clear and authoritative editions in general....  ;D

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:15:26 AM
Also - the Schirmer edition is pretty damn good... Even has fingering for some of the bloody awful tricky parts...

Why - are you thinking of learning it??? If so - I wish you the *** best of luck seriously...

I'd be impressed that someone on here could play it well - I hope to play it in 5 years time.

Offline makeanote

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:12 AM
I've not played it, but I have the Boosey & Hawkes edition - I find their use of fingering and layout very nice to read. I have the BH for the concertos 1 - 3.

Ian

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:38:26 PM
Also - the Schirmer edition is pretty damn good... Even has fingering for some of the bloody awful tricky parts...

Why - are you thinking of learning it??? If so - I wish you the *** best of luck seriously...

I'd be impressed that someone on here could play it well - I hope to play it in 5 years time.

my brother is actually planning to learn it (he is not on the forum BTW)
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:19:29 PM
Bloody hell... if he gets to perform it - I'd love to hear or see it...

Offline jgallag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:38:04 PM
If anyone's interested, the Boston Symphony Orchestra is playing this at Tanglewood in Mass. on August 14th. It's paired with the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5.

If I can persuade my parents, I'll be there.  :D

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:17:44 PM
Bloody hell... if he gets to perform it - I'd love to hear or see it...

Him and I were actually planning on recording the second for two pianos so we'll probably post that so maybe at some point we'll do the third as well.

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42:24 PM
ell I would have to say the Urtext but I am just a HUGE fan of their clear and authoritative editions in general....  ;D

You mean the Henle edition?  There are several Urtext editions such as Vienna Urtext and Barenreiter, not just Henle.  Henle does not have any editions of Rachmaninoff's music in their catalog.  Henle is good for Germanic repertoire.  If you want Slavic piano music then you must look elsewhere.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert