Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Second Home / Ragtime Toccata  (Read 2189 times)

Offline kentokhromatic

• PS Silver Member
Second Home / Ragtime Toccata
on: July 16, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
Hi!

I did a 20-minute improv that I divided up into 7 movements when I recorded it. I'm beginning to transcribe all of it as well, so if you guys are interested in seeing the sheet music I can provide it for Second Home. I thought I'd only post the first two movements unless there's more interest as to not be overwhelming.

They're both with more simple accompaniment; Second Home's really chorally influenced, so you might notice that there's these lines that makes certain measures longer, or move towards a fermata with a single voice. This is an imitation of choral styles (I used to sing in a classical choir and was reminiscing this at the time I began playing the first movement), particularly in the use of a fermata or a ritard at the end of a phrase to emphasize it.

Ragtime Toccata (tentatively titled) has a more minimalistic, prelude-like, "riff-based" structure to it, using harmonies, dynamics as well as rhythmic transformation (particularly in the hemiola) to push towards energetic, frantic peaks. I gave it a harsh ending of a severe ritard to express the feeling of an energy crash after an energetic peak.

*PS: I apologize for the piano being out of tune...it was the only one I had access to at the time. I tried to improvise in a way which the tuning wouldn't hinder the music too much.

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Second Home / Ragtime Toccata
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:33:19 PM
I liked both of these. I prefer the Ragtime Toccata. I'd be interested is seeing your transcriptions.

Lontano
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert