Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Crash and Burn  (Read 2885 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Crash and Burn
on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:42 AM
August 8th, 2009 is the date, I believe. This is played on a broken Clavinova...how, again, did it break?  ;D

The beginning chromatic scale from bottom to top is a demonstration of the stuck, sticking, broken, and uneven keys. Reaching the top of the scale is as reaching the top of a roller coaster; I had decided by then to follow the instincts, and a piece is born. Lots of violent blips and bloops (you may find humor!) gives way to a long, exhilarating line (on that note, compare to "Warming up" https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=34203.msg396993#msg396993 )

Blip and Transfiguration, it appropriately could have been called. Or Metamorphosis? A pivotal moment is the unfortunate collision with a standing lamp which was too close to the instrument. And there's fire at the end. Crash and Burn.

Have fun with it.  :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Crash and Burn
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:52:57 AM
ugh yeah these awful broken clavinovas... ::) Reminds me of one of my student's...would like to do something similar with that one, and then.... ;D

Haha I love that groovy rhythm after the chromatic scale. Certainly you make the best out of the situation and the clavinova, before it's last hour has come. I like this obstinately repeatet seventh, I'm always waiting for it, i would miss it if it suddenly disappeared :D
A worthy and skillfull tribute to a broken instrument.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:16:44 PM
cool :)  8)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:52:21 AM
We're not in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. . .  ;D

I love the part that sounds like a locomotive approaching and thereafter.  Suspenseful and exciting!  That alone is worth the price of admission. :)  Impressive scalar traversal at the coda.  A fun ride. :)   
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:46:19 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. It is true I am no fan of Clavinovas, broken or not, but it was served a purpose, and I'd still take it over other electronic piano representations I've tried.

Hmm...a train. It's funny how people often say tornadoes sound like a freight train, but never a freight train sounds like a tornado. I never thought this improv sounded like a tornado (which some of mine do dramatically), but it does kind of sound like a train. 
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert