Piano Forum

Topic: Rhapsody, opus 79 no 2 .  (Read 5244 times)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Rhapsody, opus 79 no 2 .
on: October 02, 2009, 02:14:26 PM
Hey, the Rhapsody needs more work, but I thought I'd post it anyway. Again sound quality is a little  ???, other than that listen at your own risk.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rhapsody, opus 79 no 1 .
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:59:55 PM
Hey, the Rhapsody needs more work, but I thought I'd post it anyway. Again sound quality is a little  ???, other than that listen at your own risk.

This is op 79, no.2!

I find your interpretation a bit all over the place.  The beginning feels too slow, then you speed up in m.21, precisely where the tempo should be steady and slightly menacing.  And no repeat?! 

The dynamics are not pronounced enough, right from the first 5 bars.  Everything needs to be much more expressed, by which I mean, the hairpins, the ritardandi, the forte, the staccato, the accent, the mezzo-piano, etc.  Especially the mezzo-piano which frankly sounds louder than your forte.

I think you get a nice sound from the piano but it is not varied enough and also needs more of a bite from time to time, esp. in m.9.  Careful not to fall into Thalberg's trap; Liszt heard Thalberg and said, "I, too, could have had velvet paws."  From time to time, the sound must not just be beautiful and nice.

I can tell you love the music because you wanted to record it before it was ready.  I stopped listening around the recapitulation, and possibly you could have not posted that part.   Do not let your love for the music, take away from the labor that must be done to do it justice.

Walter Ramsey

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert