Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Quentin Kim - Sonata in g# minor  (Read 4705 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Quentin Kim - Sonata in g# minor
on: November 06, 2009, 02:43:00 AM

this four movement sonata was composed in 2007. I've performed it now twice (this is the second time).  This was a concert at a private residence.  I recorded it using a TuneTalk by Belkin, which plugs into the iPod.. I just droped it on the floor behind the piano, that's why the soundq uality is poor.

First movement is called "Resigning Sun."

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Re: Quentin Kim - Sonata in g# minor
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 02:48:09 AM
2nd movement - Visions at Twilight: Glittering Society and the Graveyard

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:55:26 AM
3rd mvmt - In an Old Chapel

"...and I saw the Divine Light coming through the stained glass window..."

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:59:18 AM
4th mvmt - Shooting Star

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:04:15 AM
Please accept this as a very personal opinion.  You have an excellent technique and control of sound.  But for this?  It is so antiquated and 19th century salon sounding.  But you must find something in it that inspired you to dedicate hours of work on it.  But, like I said, this is my personal opinion.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:55:04 AM
Please accept this as a very personal opinion.  You have an excellent technique and control of sound.  But for this?  It is so antiquated and 19th century salon sounding.  But you must find something in it that inspired you to dedicate hours of work on it.  But, like I said, this is my personal opinion.

well thanx for the compliment!  I don';t play a lot of 19th century salon stuff so I don't know how it sounds... I really like this piece though.  it gives you a lot to work on, a lot to think about, but it is really written for the piano. well thanx for listening!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:26:11 AM
The ever to be respected andhow04 who's stormed such fantastic pillars of the repertoire as the powerful op. 42 Piano Concerto of Arnold Schoenberg lets us in on a recent, lovely morsel to tickle our ears with!

I find nothing wrong with this.

The piece is attractive, well written, holds my interest no less than a Saint-Saens, a Charbrier, a Godowsky...honestly what wrong can one have against this imaginative neo-romantic delight? It's nice to have nice music to sit back and enjoy nicely.

I appreciate this posting. 'Tis time well spent. :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:01:01 AM
Hi andhow,

As usual, very fine playing!  You have a wonderful feel for this contemporary music, and I, for one, very much enjoy the neo-romantic sound.  I especially liked the third movement.  Bravo!

The sound quality... hmmm, the piano sounded boxy with trapworks pedal noise, so I would surmise this was played on an upright.  If you could get some time on a larger grand with better recording equipment, it would be well worth the effort of re-recording this piece.  It would better capture your artistry and would do more justice to the sound of the composition as well.  If you decide to do that, please repost it here.

Thanks for posting this sonata!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:13:12 PM
The ever to be respected andhow04 who's stormed such fantastic pillars of the repertoire as the powerful op. 42 Piano Concerto of Arnold Schoenberg lets us in on a recent, lovely morsel to tickle our ears with!

I find nothing wrong with this.

The piece is attractive, well written, holds my interest no less than a Saint-Saens, a Charbrier, a Godowsky...honestly what wrong can one have against this imaginative neo-romantic delight? It's nice to have nice music to sit back and enjoy nicely.

I appreciate this posting. 'Tis time well spent. :)

thanx for the nice comments!  Very insightful... i also thought there were some saint-saensian sounds in this sonata.  Charbrier I am less afmiliar with, and of course Godowsky, tho in general these textures are a little thinner than Godowsky's.

this piece is hjard to play but written truly for the piano, so the problems can be solved.... withj lots of work.

thanx for remembering schoenberg concerto :)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:44:19 PM
here is the sonata played on a real piano, and recorded with real equipment.  the program was:

Medtner - Two tales op.20
Kim - Sonata in g#
Franck - Pr, Ch & Fg
INTERMISSION
Debussy - Masques / D'un cahier / L'isle joyeuse
Bartok - Musiques nocturnes
Messiaen - Petites esquisses d'oiseaux

here is the sonata: I. Resigning Sun

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 12:45:01 PM
II. Visions at Twilight: Glittering Society and the Graveyard

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 12:45:38 PM
3rd mvmt - In an Old Chapel

"...and I saw the Divine Light coming through the stained glass window..."

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:46:32 PM
IV. Shooting Star
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert