Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Asturias Piano - Leyenda Isaac Albeniz  (Read 13540 times)

Offline mozarta

• PS Silver Member
Asturias Piano - Leyenda Isaac Albeniz
on: November 15, 2009, 02:33:08 PM
Hi all,

I just posted a piano version of Las Asturias by Isaac Albeniz:
[/youtube]

Give me your impressions' (my version is a little different from the original)

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Re: Asturias Piano - Leyenda Isaac Albeniz
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:01:24 AM
Hey!

Good job with the leaps; those are pretty tough to all get!

I'm not sure if your keyboard/digital piano has dynamic control, but you should look at softening the relentless 'D' the right hand has to make the melody a bit clearer.  Nice addition at the end  ;)
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline crg70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:52:00 AM
Well, my favorite part is the one you didn't play... this part is so beautiful and so rich in contrast and Spanish flavor...

Offline mozarta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:36:38 PM
Thx for your comment bush, not sure my keyboard can soften the sound, I know it's bright
crg, I agree the other part is beautiful but I wanted to emphasise on the first part (personal choice)

Offline highcrappile

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:39 PM
Im very much a newbie on the piano but
On this piece I have some authority =)
I have played guitar all of my grown up life til I started piano in 2007.
This was one of my favorites to play along with recuerdos de l'alhambra.
I made some good money(and food) on it too in the better restaurants in a bigger city in sweden, enough of my lifes story=).
The way this differs from my guitar interpretation is firstly tempo wise. I think you are doing it faster than necessary. The double and triple notes(ostinato? on d?) on the guitar are with a lot of practise easily accomplished with an index long ring finger motion, so the focus is very much on the dynamics of the "melody". In the guitar version the lower notes g and later d (and later others)are six string raseguados(fast strumming of at least three fingers over the six strings), not dissimilar to a szf.

shows an example of a proficient player on the guitar.

Maybe Im out of my depths here. I just really liked to hear you play this, and I tossed in a cent or two.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 12:42:06 AM
1. Leyenda has nothing to do with Asturia. This name "Asturias" doesn't originate from Albéniz.
2. Without the middle (slow) part this piece is senseless.
3. The piano version was the original version. Albéniz got to know the Guitar arrangement though and obviously liked it.

@Mozarta: Sorry but I don't like what you call your version. To me it's just a butchered Leyenda. Albéniz has carefully and precisely written out what his idea of this piece was. I would recommend you to go back to the original text and study it more in depth.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 03:21:26 PM
Hi mozarta,

I fully agree with pianowolfi's assessment here.  When someone posts a classical piece here, I believe the usual expectation is that it will be presented accurately in accordance with the score and the composer's intentions.  If the contributor instead chooses to somehow change or rewrite the score, then it might be better labeled as an arrangement, paraphrase or a new composition based on the original theme.  With correct labeling, members and others can then decide beforehand whether they're interested or not in taking the time to listen to it.  Obviously in a case such as "Leyenda", most purists will probably not click on it, but those who like pops might wish to hear it.  Proper labeling tips people off as to what to expect, thus giving them options.  Just my opinion.  :)  
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 04:13:45 PM
Just watching the video I can see that your LH arm is doing way too much moving. You must control your positions and not move to each one individually. From this you will generate a more control with your sound. It also seems that you are sitting too low at the piano, arms should be parallel to the ground when fingers are in contact with the keyboard it looks like the keyboard is up on a shelf not on a level infront of you.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 12:56:23 AM
it seems like your arms are upper than your keyboard...
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline wfrith

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 05:40:17 AM
I've actually just picked up this piece recently.
This is one of my favorite pieces that I play.
I don't intend any rudeness, but if you are going to call it Leyenda, you might as well actually play the real Leyenda for more than a minute or so.
I appreciate your composition, but I just can't call it Leyenda by any means.
I have to agree with the previous posts. Your version was something new, but if I'm going to listen to this piece, I MUST have the expressive middle part. The piece is almost meaningless to me without that deep well of emotion that Albeniz drew from in the slower middle section.

Also I'm quite positive that I have the correct edition of the sheet music, and when you're playing the leaps (the marcato chords with the pedal marks), I think that the chord is supposed to be played at the same time that the bass octave is played. I'd research the original though; I'm by no means an expert.

So all in all, I like that you tried to refresh a classic piece, but I'm gonna have to go with the original composition on this one.

Offline anamary

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 05:43:36 AM
That is a Wonderfull piece, but the permorfer is tooo mechanique He needs more sensibility even if is that work is fast!

Offline gregspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 04:45:24 PM
I loved this song when I was learning guitar - one of the first songs I learnt on it so great to see a piano version and it really does work very well. You are obviously very talented! Its not perfect and some work maybe needs to be done on blending the notes and refining the flow of the piece, but all in all very good. I might suggest some sustain when it goes higher at 1.17 because it sounds a bit too harsh at the moment.
Really enjoyed this. Thanks!
New CD release and other news available at my website www.gregryan.co.uk

Offline eckrieg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 02:12:55 PM
Why do you play Leyenda at breakneck speed and without the slightest trace of of expression.
But don't feel bad. All pianists are guilty of the same mistake... playing as if it was a disagreeable task that that they want to finish as soon as possible. Slow down and use a little rubato and emotion.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert