Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: some recent romantic stuff  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
some recent romantic stuff
on: November 25, 2009, 03:24:02 AM
Here are some improvs from recently, much more in my traditional romantic style.

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Re: some recent romantic stuff
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:15 PM
The first of the pieces is amazing! it really captured me and kept me listening! You should make it into a score! great job

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:37:07 AM
Nice to see you back with some improvs, Derek.  I really enjoyed the second one, and the third was very good.  The atmosphere you produce is a satisfying retreat.   
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:58:59 AM
Hi Derek,

I listened to all three of your improvs.  They are all very good and I enjoyed listening to them;  but if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be No. 1.  I encourage you to continue improvising in this neo-romantic idiom you have chosen.  My sense is that more composers and musicians are gravitating to neo-romanticism, realizing that the Romantic Age being declared as bankrupt decades ago was way premature, and that there are still endless avenues of discovery in the realm of tonal and lyrical music, as your three pieces here reaffirm.  Keep up the good work!  
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:10:27 AM
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. I agree, there are indeed endless melodic possibilities. The sooner people stop falling at the feet of dead composers the sooner more people will realize this. :) I remember once asking at a seminar my (previous) piano teacher gave: "Why do so few modern composers try to write music in the style of Brahms, Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, etc.??"  One of the composer faculty immediately piped up and said: "Because they would suffer direct comparison!"

Offline pthebig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:55:15 PM
Hi Derek,

I listened to all three of your improvs.  They are all very good and I enjoyed listening to them;  but if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be No. 1.  I encourage you to continue improvising in this neo-romantic idiom you have chosen.  My sense is that more composers and musicians are gravitating to neo-romanticism, realizing that the Romantic Age being declared as bankrupt decades ago was way premature, and that there are still endless avenues of discovery in the realm of tonal and lyrical music, as your three pieces here reaffirm.  Keep up the good work!  
Your right with the neo-romantic idiom, i think that sounds great!
by the way, sorry for my bad english, but I'm a typical german, who has to study a lot speaking a foreign language, I'm open for betterings everytime!

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:01:46 PM
i liked the 3rd piece alot , very beautiful improv and it has this mysterious feeling to it. Ive been listening to some on here im just trying to collect as much musical ideas that are considered on improvs , and try to find a path of effective improvisation myself. Its a beautiful world to go towards, reminds us all how infinite music is.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert