Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Franz Liszt - Liebestraume No. 3 (In with the new, out with the old)  (Read 4876 times)

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member

April 7, 2012 - as part of Birba's "IN with the NEW, OUT with the OLD" drive, please allow me to post once again Liszt's beautiful, but sometimes overplayed piece which was popularized as "Dream of Love". Enzo is 16 years old here and the 1st video posted below was when he was 12. I really hope from the standpoint of pianists here, that the newer video this is a more mature interpretation. From my viewpoint as an audience and non-pianist it would seem that the present video is a more romantic interpretation??  ;D

Thank you for any comment or observation.  HAPPY EASTER!!!!!  :)

This was played February 2008.
This practice session was by Lorenzo (Enzo) when he was 12 years old and was played at the University of the Philippines minihall in preparation for UP's piano competition; part of the University's 100th year celebration. As can be heard, the acoustics of the minihall leaves much to be desired.  
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Franz Liszt - Liebestraume No. 3
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:30:15 AM
I'm sorry if you are expecting me to find fault with this recording! It simply gushes with romantic spirit. There are the two tenor F-flats before the first cadenza, the one a dotted half, the other with the fermata ushering the operatic voice down to the cadenza...what a brilliant overlapping effect Enzo brings off, as if they are separate voices...amazing! This jumped out at me, for it is very good.

No, no...I can't find any fault here. This is complete and wonderful and he should be very happy.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Hello .... HAPPY EASTER!!!

As part of Birba's "IN with the NEW, OUT with the OLD" drive, please allow me to post once again Liszt's beautiful, but sometimes overplayed piece which was popularized as "Dream of Love". Enzo is 16 years old in the latest video played February 2012 while the 1st video posted was when he was 12 last February 2008. I really hope from the standpoint of pianists that the newer version is a more mature interpretation. From my viewpoint as an audience and non-pianist it would seem to be a more romantic interpretation ???.

Thank you for any comment or observation.  HAPPY EASTER!!!!!  

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Wonderful!  Really interesing seeing the little differences in the two recordings.  All in all, I really enjoyed the older video for it's unabashed enthusiasm and spontaneous expression.  The newer one was, like you said, more mature in a way, a little calculated and very well prepared.  What a trip it must be to watch the evolution of this young master!

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
ok, both are very well played, now you are promoted to "piano society" for next level critics.

Yes, I noticed, when he was 12, he forgot to put his red shirt ;D into pant, and when he is 14? he is more matured. Eno, you will pick up any girls in your music class when you played this piece. 8)

I saw Emill was setting in the back in the audience   looking very nervously and hoping Eno can get thru.
Lather I found Eno was looking at the roof and hoping Franz Lizt can give him some inspirations, and Lizst DID. In the end, Eno smilled, and thinking(yes I have done it). Congradualtions to both of you.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Which one is he in the back?

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Thank for posting these two versions, Emill,they  give us the opportunity to have a better idea of how much Enzo has flourished in these years, refining and deepening his incredible musicality.  At 16 (still a teenager!!!!)  he has the maturity of a consummate, fully grown up artist. At 12 he could play better than many acclaimed pianists: awesome!!!!!

Both performances show  what differentiates Enzo from the plethora of  infants prodigy:   he always puts his superbe technique at the service of a deep felt musicality. He never plays mechanically, he always infuses his soul into what he’s playing, and is able to transmit the depth and richness of his emotional world to the audience, making his performance a wonderful experience for the listener....
Music is Enzo's vocation, no doubt about it....

You are a blessed father, Emill!!!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Emill, Enzo!  Thanks for the delightful treat this Easter weekend!  I loved both performances.  Enzo, you were so mature when you were 12!  I can hardly believe your maturity!  You played this song of love like you were at least 20 years older.  Surely you broke some hearts already, then!!  And more so now!  In your recent performance, you play with much more aplomb and even more maturity.  Lots of people say this piece is overplayed, like Fantasie Impromptu, but I think the reason they're "overplayed" is because they're such timeless treasures.  And I don't think they're overplayed but that may be because I'm biased as I'm learning FI and wishing I could play it like you did when you were 10!!   ;D  And once I complete it, I'm hoping to learn this same song of love you so beautifully performed.  If I were a teenager, I'd be head over heels in love with you!!  You're a very lucky man, Emill!!  And a very Happy Easter to both of you and your family!

Choo

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
... xxx ... I loved both performances.  Enzo, you were so mature when you were 12!  I can hardly believe your maturity!  ...xxx...  If I were a teenager, I'd be head over heels in love with you!!  Choo 

Sometimes I get envious of my son .... he has all the fine ladies surrounding him especially after a concert!!! ;D Thanks Choo ... you are so generous with your comments!

Thank for posting these two versions, Emill,they  give us the opportunity to have a better idea of how much Enzo has flourished in these years, refining and deepening his incredible musicality.  At 16 (still a teenager!!!!)  he has the maturity of a consummate, fully grown up artist. At 12 he could play better than many acclaimed pianists: awesome!!!!! 

Yes Margh .... he has definitely matured to such an extent in so short a time. But as his dad, sometimes I wish he has remained a 10 year old who would often come and talk to me for anything.  Nowadays, he just talks to the piano ... and is so moody .... silent ... oh well, C'est la Vie.  PLease do not get me wrong, these are only fatherly yearnings but we are very happy and proud of his progress and look forward to the day he becomes an accomplished pianist. THANKS!!

ok, both are very well played, now you are promoted to "piano society" for next level critics.

Yes, I noticed, when he was 12, he forgot to put his red shirt ;D into pant, and when he is 14? he is more matured. Eno, you will pick up any girls in your music class when you played this piece. 8)
I saw Emill was setting in the back in the audience   looking very nervously and hoping Eno can get thru. Lather I found Eno was looking at the roof and hoping Franz Lizt can give him some inspirations, and Lizst DID. In the end, Eno smilled, and thinking(yes I have done it). Congradualtions to both of you. 

THANKS .... you are so funny!!! ;D ;D ;D ...  your comments are so "refreshing"!!!  Yes he can pick up a lot of girls, but for now the only girl he picks up is his mother!!! ;D :o ::) ;D :D ;D
I am really surprised ... you were able to notice that faint, almost imperceptible smile at the end of the video ... and most likely you guessed it right ... it must have been a "Yes, I have done it" thought!!  THANKS .... also for the humor. ;D

xxx...xxx..  All in all, I really enjoyed the older video for it's unabashed enthusiasm and spontaneous expression.  The newer one was, like you said, more mature in a way, a little calculated and very well prepared.  What a trip it must be to watch the evolution of this young master!

Coming from the Jedi MASTER himself ....  we are so humbled by your generous and so encouraging comment. One thing going for him, he is so focused and driven and industrious. The summer months and vacation here started last week of March and he is filling our house with the classics morning, afternoon and evenings. What playstations, the laptop, facebook and girls(so far.. ;D) are to other teens .... the piano is for him.  For us "normal" people in our house and the neighbors .... he is strange.... but we like it.  THANKS so much BIRBA!!

I'm sorry if you are expecting me to find fault with this recording! It simply gushes with romantic spirit. There are the two tenor F-flats before the first cadenza, the one a dotted half, the other with the fermata ushering the operatic voice down to the cadenza...what a brilliant overlapping effect Enzo brings off, as if they are separate voices...amazing! This jumped out at me, for it is very good.   No, no...I can't find any fault here. This is complete and wonderful and he should be very happy.

To my friend Dave - I am so sorry for this absolutely delayed response .... over two years in the making. It boils down to I am so happy that a 12 year old has given you joy in his playing.  THANKS!!! for your encouragement through the years.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert