Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Tempo for Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Minor  (Read 19319 times)

Offline roosmari

• PS Silver Member
Tempo for Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Minor
on: February 27, 2010, 08:15:16 PM
Trying to decide on a performance speed for Bach's Prelude and Fugue in C Minor.  Torn between fast, flowing and dramatic and Glen Gould's version which is slower, but, to my ear, really "tells a story".

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tempo for Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Minor
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:31:41 PM
First or second book?

Offline roosmari

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 04:47:24 AM
BWV 847

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:44:27 AM
I'm such a dumb ass.  I still had to go and see if it was the first or second book.
Prelude =  quarter note 108 - 112
Fugue = quarter note 84 - 88

Offline roosmari

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:35:41 PM
No dumbass :-)  I just find that Glen Gould's version (of the prelude) is muuuch slower; and I really like his version

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 04:51:27 PM
I was only kidding! (about dumb ass)
Gould had a tendency to go against what seems natural.  I very much admire his playing and musicianship, but sometimes he exaggerated his tempi - in both directions.  And sometimes he convinced me and sometimes, not.  I don't recall hearing his prelude and fugue, here.  Bach, of course, had no metronome nor any indication of speed.  It's pretty much up to the interpreter. Be sure YOU are convinced of the tempo.  Never lose the living pulse.  And create the fraseggio with all the colors of the pianoforte.  And, if you have a chance, try the prelude and fugue on the harpsichord.  You'll find that slower speeds are much more difficult to put across.
Post it in the audition room.  I'm curious to hear your interpretation!

Offline roosmari

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:24:01 PM
Thank you!  I really appreciate your ideas and insights.  Most helpful :-)  I particularly appreciate your comment about the difficulty of playing this piece slowly on a harpsichord--I think that says it all really. 

I think that I will go for the faster speed; although I am still working hard on keeping the LH and the RH "together".  Also feel challenged as to dynamic contrasts, but doing the inevitable and going with my gut; wish Bach had given us more direct instructions  ;D  No matter what I do or how I battle, it still remains the joy of my "pianific" life to play Bach.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:19 PM

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:43:04 PM
I am currently learning this prelude & fugue, I take it at a tempo in between Gould's and Richter's (Richter's being one of the faster interpretations). I think the faster tempi subdue the polyphony and they sound un-Bachian. Although I think Gould's is a little too slow.
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline roosmari

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 05:08:31 AM
Touche lol  Gould is a good storyteller :-)

And as for the "un-Bachian" sounds, that is my feeling too; although Gould is a little slow for me too; it is however such a gift that he brings to the piano, that he does manage to tell a story despite the slow tempo of his performance.

Offline roosmari

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:12:41 AM
P.S.  I have not heard Richter's version.  I will most certainly try to get hold of it.  Thank you.

Offline iroveashe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 08:18:24 PM
P.S.  I have not heard Richter's version.  I will most certainly try to get hold of it.  Thank you.

I like to hear it, but I wouldn't (and can't) play it at such speed, in fact I have trouble doing the presto at the speed he does the allegro, and in my opinion it's a bit on the romantic side.

I think Gould's reason for the slow tempo is the articulation, although I can't figure out why he lets some of the higher notes ring for the whole bar while others he gives the same value as the rest around them.

Rosalyn Tureck is woth a listen too, specially for the dynamics.
"By concentrating on precision, one arrives at technique, but by concentrating on technique one does not arrive at precision."
Bruno Walter

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 09:04:28 PM
This piece has a lot of colorful passages and I think it's up to the pianist to make it
interesting and articulate as possible.  I don't believe this piece should be so rushed as in
the Richter's version, because there is so much interchanging of notes that each
needs to be heard with heart.  Interpretation is the key to making this piece(the prelude I mean)not the speedy tempo that will make this piece come alive within us.  (I love Bach's music and play some of his pieces most of the time) .
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert