Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Steinway Duo art model #? what is it worth?  (Read 15091 times)

Offline christian4_u

• PS Silver Member
Steinway Duo art model #? what is it worth?
on: March 27, 2010, 04:18:55 AM
Modification --- Sorry for the confusion the total length is 7 feet not 6.1 is that better? does it make a difference?

I have a steinway duo art grand piano (mechanism intact serial # 150097--- this number is on the mechanism of the belly) the piano itself has no serial number, cant find anywhere inside the lid ---on the soundboard---frames--close to pins.... but on the tail corner (closest to the long straight side of the grand) on the soundboard, there is a "4/17.p" with number 1705 beneath. The soundboard does say "Repetition Action Pat. - Steinway - Capo D'Astro Pat. - Duplex Scale Pat. "
"Steinway Foundry Casting - Tubular Metallic Action Frame Pat. "
how old is my piano? all ivory keys... How much is it worth? If I don't want to fix it, because I heard the key mechanisms are sluggish, do you think a piano store will trade me for another Steinway grand that I can play on? ... I also have a Steinway upright Grand, ivory keys with only 2 sticky keys, that has a beautiful tone for all other keys with outside in good condition. Can I trade one of both for a Steinway grand that has been reconditioned or is new? just wondering..please answer if you know the make and model of my piano and the year its from.. and how much its worth.. and if I can trade it? or if you can only answer one or some of these questions it is much appreciated. OH I forgot to mention its 6 feet at the lid + 1 feet for the keyboard.  All keys work but has 2 sticky keys, and is relatively in tune, but sounds not so good. Definitely needs tuning and some key work.

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions and for reading this post.

Offline keys60

Re: Steinway Duo art model #? what is it worth?
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:48:49 PM
Hard to tell unless the piano has been evaluated by a tech in person. It it's 6'11 total, its a Model B. Nice piano. If it has real ivories, its at least 60 years old. Unrestored in reasonable condition, it could be worth 10-15K. Again, hard to tell. Might need strings, hammers, a rebuild, finish. They could be had for less. A mint B, restored, regardless of age goes for appx. 35 to 45K with the traditional style (plain) and 55-65K if it has a fancy Chippendale or Louis XIV style.
Shop around on www.pianomart.com or check out restored models at www.countrypianos.com to get an idea of what used private sale and restored models go for..
Be advised, many folks think just because its a Steinway and they see others listed at 4o grand, they think theirs is worth that too and ask far too much. Again, it really depends on its overall condition.
Oh, and if the action is sluggish, have it regulated by a good tech for around 500-700 bucks. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Regulation should be performed every 4-5 years with constant use.
All the best

Offline bigcitypianoguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:59 AM
A Steinway Duo-Art grand (usually model "XR" - 6'1" in overall length) in excellent/re-built condition, with the player system fully restored, could be worth in excess of 25,000.  Fully rebuilt, the Steinway Duo-Art XR is a truly stunning piano. The Duo-Art reproducing system is capable of rendering very life-like performances of the great pianists of the 1920's.  The Duo-Art is by no means an ordinary player piano. All the great pianists of the 1920's recorded for either Duo-Art or its two competitors Welte Mignon or Ampico.  You can see and hear examples of a newly rebuilt Steinway Duo-Art grand on Youtube (see videos posted by bartolomochristofari, who is a noted piano technician and rebuilder in the DC area).  Rebuilding a Steinway Duo-Art of course in quite expensive - probably about 15,000.  Not re-built, the value of an XR  may be worth about 10,000, depending on the condition.
Some pianists claim that the longer key length of the Steinway Duo-Art XR causes a slightly heavier touch when played by hand. This can be remedied in the rebuilding of the action by a competent technician having experience with Steinway Duo-Art grands.  Good luck.

Offline auction

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:08:03 AM
I would be happy  to auction your Steinways.  I presently have a similar model up for auction, a 1926 Steinway XR Duo Art reproducing piano.  This piano has been completely restored.  You can find all of the details online at https://www.capitolonlineauctions.com.  If you were to buy it, or even if you did not, I would be happy to auction both of your Steinways.  We have sold about 6 Steinways in the last few months and the sellers have been happy with the results, the buyers have been happy too. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert