Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Improvisation 6/5/2010  (Read 2038 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Improvisation 6/5/2010
on: May 11, 2010, 10:48:25 PM
It is probably about time I posted another improvisation. Half an hour is pretty short for me these days.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improvisation 6/5/2010
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:22:56 AM
Hi Ted,

Wow!  That is an extended improvisation--almost a fantasy or rhapsody I think.  There is much variety in there--counterpoint, harp-like passages, unexpected changes in tonal centers, some moments being stark while others are imbued with a romantic tinge, and some lush purple patches of deep bass harmonies and much more.  There are the jazzy, classical and lyrical moments too, sometimes even combined.  I think your dexterity is quite amazing.  I don't know how you do it.  Thanks for posting this improv.  :)

David   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:56:51 AM
It will take longer for this to sink in, but the complexities of any given moment don't beg for such an understanding as understanding goes. They are set to be enjoyed at the exact release, and I assure you it is enjoyed greatly. Nobody jives and gels like you. 8)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:36 AM
furtwaengler:

Thanks for listening. I have never set out to impress, create intellectual puzzles and profundities, or to illustrate arcane theories. "Feeling good is good enough for me", and if others enjoy it then so much the better.

rachfan:

Thanks for listening. Meaningful heterogeneity can be a difficult quality for a form to have because it is easy to slide via imitation into the merely polyglot. The fact that someone of your background likes the sound and describes it in eloquent and positive terms gives me cause to hope that I have avoided that trap. Thanks for the compliment about my technique, which means a lot coming from you. There is actually much of interest to elaborate on there but I shall leave it until I gather my thoughts.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:16:49 AM
As Furtwängler has used the term "healthy complexity" for some of my improvs, I am tempted to use the term "unconstrained complexity" for your's, (without denying it healthiness of course).
Cool :)  8)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:57 AM
Glad you like it, Wolfi. Sometimes I like complexity and sometimes simplicity. I never know what is likely to happen and take delight in surprising myself. The most interesting things in improvisations are frequently passages whose effect I am oblivious of while actually playing. If I ever reach a stage of absolute certainty and control then that will be the time to stop improvising as it will have become a pointless exercise. I couldn't imagine anything worse than complete awareness of what I was going to play.  

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 03:05:14 PM
liked your playing with the scales at the start. Nice harmony throughout. Really entertaining and enjoyably unpredictable! Good stuff  :)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:12:43 AM
Pleased you like it, Chopinatic. I'm getting musically madder with age and haven't a clue half the time what harmony I'm playing, not that I ever had much understanding about it at the best of times. A great comfort which sets in beyond middle-age is that one no longer feels that absurd, youthful fear of admitting absence of ability, lack of grasp of anything, or of appearing ignorant. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert