Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Ballade 2 corrected  (Read 4801 times)

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Ballade 2 corrected
on: July 18, 2010, 01:13:42 PM
Well as with number 3.....what I mean by corrected is not "perfect", but a lot better than the last presentation. And this is!!!! 8) The "nit pickers" will find plenty of faults, but it is really only the molto cresc of the agitato that rather goes off the rails.

https://www.box.net/shared/ux508yq94e
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Ballade 2 corrected
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:04:05 PM
We really need an 'Ignore user' feature... that would be so handy at this very second...

That recording... was barely Chopin's 2nd Ballade. It kind of sounded like a piece of aleatoric twentieth-century garbage. It ALSO... was barely even slightly correct.

This was better??? CHRIST... I don't want to hear the other recording then for fear my brain cells would shut down and ooze out my eye sockets.

For once however, I can present a video of me playing this piece two years ago (in fact, two years ago yesterday)... This may not be perfect, but I did play this and pass the AMEB's Licentiate of Piano exam, so I feel that it's okay to say that it's a 'decent' performance.

You will have to excuse the sound quality however, it was just the microphone from the Video Camera, which wasn't that good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I know that you presented a challenge to me a while back... and I couldn't accept simply because I didn't have a day to spare to learn the 3rd movement of the sonata you had offered...

However, I have a very simple challenge for you. I'd like you to take one of these pieces (which are very easy - maybe Grade 2 at the most) and present a playing in which you think are PERFORMANCE worthy. Knowing you, you could do this in a day, however I would like you to practice it until you believe it is truly worthy of performing to show to us that you are CAPABLE of perfection in your pieces.

Chopin - Prelude Op 28, No. 6, 7 or 20
Satie - Gnossienne No. 1 in f minor

Show us that you can play at least ONE piece well...

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:19:29 PM
We really need an 'Ignore user' feature... that would be so handy at this very second...

It is in your power, Perfect pitch. You do not have to read anything or hear anything you don't want to. But this seems to be an obsession...what is it that draws you to this slow concert pianist, that you must open every thread, and listen to every recording? I don't know how you can do this, make the comments you make and then have the audacity of claiming we need an "Ignore user" feature. It seems you do an excellent job of ignoring everybody else...the folks who invest much time and work and care in presentation and actually do read the comments and seek for criticism as a means of improving there performances.

This was better??? CHRIST... I don't want to hear the other recording then for fear my brain cells would shut down and ooze out my eye sockets.

I will say I have made use of the very handy, "Report to moderator" link more than once at the manner of which the term "CHRIST" is used in the quoted sentence. I'll bring this up publicly now to let you and others know this greatly bothers me, and I wish you'd be sensitive to that, and the fact that this site also has several children on it, as well as others who in general do not have the same standard of language. BTW anybody can use the "Report to moderator" link. They do not have to air their grief publicly every time.

Consider the rant over. You played a very balanced, accurate, dramatic, and beautiful 2nd Ballade two years ago, Perfect pitch. How I'd describe your playing that I've heard would be balanced and accurate, if not sometimes emotionally restrained.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:29:15 PM
Nitpicker:  What people who care about craftsmanship and attention to detail are sometimes called by people who lack those qualities, comparable to the scorn implied by words like "oversensitive" and "overemotional" by those who have no sensitivity or emotional range.

FWIW, I agree with furtwaengler's comment concerning the use of profanity.  Personally, I have less objection to garden-variety coarse language and expletives than to words that deliberately offend people's religious beliefs.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:36:19 PM
It seems you do an excellent job of ignoring everybody else...the folks who invest much time and work and care in presentation and actually do read the comments and seek for criticism as a means of improving there performances.

EXCUSE ME?!? When the hell do I ignore people??? I've got hundreds of posts, most of which I have spent helping people with fingering, or general piano advice...

So I CHOOSE to oversee your comment, because that simply isn't true.

what is it that draws you to this slow concert pianist, that you must open every thread, and listen to every recording?

1) I can't believe that a guy who claims is taking lessons from a Professor or Music, can play so bad.

2) The quality of his technicality, timing, voicing and general synchronicity of the hands seems to get worse over time as he attempts more and more pieces.

3) He practically spams the board with these recordings each week with multiple recordings... Does he pick up new pieces each week then discard them the next?

This may look like an obsession - but my teacher showed me the beauty of being able to not just play a piece, but to perform it. I have the clarity and detail to play it beautifully... I would like to do pass this on to my students, as well as anyone else included - Slow_concert as well.

I'd be a happy person if I managed to show someone the beauty of playing a piece after taking meticulous work to perfect it - just like my teacher did for me.

That's why!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:35:13 PM
As a member said in another thread, Mr Slow concert pianist is wetting himself with laughter at all of this fuss he has created.

It is beyond me why anyone would bother responding any more, especially those who's talent is obviously greater.

Thal ;D

Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:56 PM
As a member said in another thread, Mr Slow concert pianist is wetting himself with laughter at all of this fuss he has created.

It is beyond me why anyone would bother responding any more, especially those who's talent is obviously greater.

Thal ;D

Its beyond me why Nills hasnt kicked this guy off the forum yet, since he's obiously just abusing people's willingness to help, and making the audition forum into a joke.
1+1=11

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 08:04:20 PM
Good job nailing the first rhythm!!!

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:02:12 AM
EXCUSE ME?!? When the hell ...

bit much, methinks. relax bro  :D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 02:50:36 PM
Well, it's better than when you first posted it on Piano World, but it still has room to improve. I'm willing to share one of my performances of it, too!

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 08:29:21 PM
i wanna hear ur rendition of the 4th ballade... :D :D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:27:36 PM
I started laughing uncontrollably when the Presto con fuoco section began, good one sir!

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:08:11 AM
love this diddy:

"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert