Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin 3rd Scherzo  (Read 3024 times)

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Chopin 3rd Scherzo
on: September 08, 2010, 04:19:05 PM

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin 3rd Scherzo
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:25 PM
Congratulations on this very lively and well proportioned rendition! :)

From my point of view there is not much to criticize, to me your overall concept of the piece is well thought-out and you can communicate it very well! Perhaps sometimes the flow gets a bit irritatingly interrupted, like in M. 135/136 or M. 199. Here Chopin's pedal marking suggests not to interrupt the phrase, breathe of course, but don't cut it.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:59 PM
Thank you very much, Mr Wolf.
Somehow I never noticed those pedal markings in my score  ???
good thing you pointed that out. I am playing this piece on Friday in front of a very big jury and it would be rather embarrassing to make such an obvious mistake!

Maybe the whole thing is a tad slow-it IS presto con fuoco. What do you think? It's difficult to maintain a high level of accuracy if the tempo is pushed much beyond this... but maybe it's worth the risk for that extra bit of excitement no?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:10:30 PM
Thank you very much, Mr Wolf.
Somehow I never noticed those pedal markings in my score  ???
good thing you pointed that out. I am playing this piece on Friday in front of a very big jury and it would be rather embarrassing to make such an obvious mistake!

Maybe the whole thing is a tad slow-it IS presto con fuoco. What do you think? It's difficult to maintain a high level of accuracy if the tempo is pushed much beyond this... but maybe it's worth the risk for that extra bit of excitement no?

To me the tempo seems very good, I wouldn't push it beyond the current mark. You have had still room to increase it in the final section, I think this shows that you have very good control.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:35 PM
This is beautifully played. Excellent work! There's no way I could play it that clean live myself...

Offline apollon1717

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:57 AM

Interested in listening to your Chopin Scherzo vid....
It seems to be a private link..

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:26:51 PM
Idem.

Offline apollon1717

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 11:18:05 PM

Can/t open it ..it's a Private Video...never mind ;)

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:57:44 AM
I wanna see it
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:49:16 AM
It wasn't a video if I recall. Only audio with a picture. And I can't find it anywhere now.

This weekend my girlfriend and I are having a video made of our Beethoven 9th Symphony concert.

In the meantime, I'll post another recording from my CD of op. 10/25. I picked the CD's up this morning. They ended up looking quite nice although I didn't pay for any fluffy printing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert