Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne in Bb minor Op. 9 No. 1  (Read 1945 times)

Offline nmitchell076

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Nocturne in Bb minor Op. 9 No. 1
on: September 30, 2010, 09:17:05 PM
Hello all, here is my recording of Chopin's Nocturne in Bb minor Op. 9 No. 1

Recorded live 9/28/10 at Furman University

I would love to hear what you guys think.  :)

With this recording, I am officially "done" with this piece and am moving on, so general observations about my playing would be incredibly helpful! But specific observations about this piece will be greatly appreciated as well  :)
Pieces:
Beethoven - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31 No. 2
Debussy - "La Danse De Puck"
Somers - Sonnet No. 3, "Primeval"
Gershwin - Concerto in F

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Nocturne in Bb minor Op. 9 No. 1
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:03:47 AM
Excellent work and beautiful playing!  The only general observation I have is your forte tends to be forced at times and results in a harsh sound.  This was especially apparent in the middle section.  But the opening and ending were just beautiful.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:11:08 AM
Hi nmitchell,

I agree with birba's thoughts.  You play very lyrically in the two outer sections of the nocturne with some wonderful rubatos and nuances.  In the middle part, you might want to approach the fortes with a relaxed arm to obtain a richer sound.  Right now it sounds as though you strike the notes "from above" which produces a forced and harsher tone.  Just a suggestion.  Overall, beautiful playing!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline nmitchell076

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:21:47 PM
I really, really appreciate the comments.  That forced sound is kinda the bane of my existence at this point, as I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get rid of.  I'll think I have it controlled for a few weeks, and then as I concentrate on other things, it slowly starts to creep its way back in.

Was it more the stretto section fortes? or the fortissimos with the Db major pedal in the LH? Or both?  I'm pretty certain I hear it, but I'm more trustful of other people's ears then my own at this point  :P

Anyways, again, thanks so much for the comments!
Pieces:
Beethoven - Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31 No. 2
Debussy - "La Danse De Puck"
Somers - Sonnet No. 3, "Primeval"
Gershwin - Concerto in F

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:52:29 PM
For example in measure 35 and following and when the same melody repeats a couple of bars later.

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:43:06 AM
Where is Furman university?  I think this is lovely and sensitive playing.

One thing I noticed is that when the right hand has the ornamented passages, the left hand suffers.  Sometimes it speeds up (it should be as steady as possible when the right hand engages in this kind of rubato) and other times it loses a good legato, and perhaps even a few notes?  Push for more independence of the hands in this respect.

About the hard sound, it could be a number of things, since we can't see you.  It could be the instrument, or the recording.  It could be the way you are touching the keys: when playing louder octaves and chords, it can be useful to slide into the keyboard (ie fingertips going towards fallboard).  It sounds to me, as if you are just coming straight down onto them.

There is also the concept of speed of attack, which for music like this, generally works better with a slower attack.  It can be easier to conceptualize this than realize it literally: if you think of the sound of the octaves as blooming outwards, you will be closer to a more beautiful tone.  In other words, listening to the way the note lasts rather than the attack.

Walter Ramsey

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert