Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Contemplation by twilight  (Read 2170 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Contemplation by twilight
on: October 06, 2010, 05:57:43 AM
...amidst the ambient light.  It is raining a bit. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: Contemplation by twilight
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:14:55 PM
Your versatility is something to behold. Beautiful piece.  :)  *edit* I love the really dark and quiet tone color near the end, when it suddenly gets into more of a minor key.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:45 PM
A master speaks :)

No I'm not kidding :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:00:42 PM
Thanks Derek.

Wolfi, this student is humbled.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:26:38 AM
Absolutely Gorgeous.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:22:55 PM
One of the most lyric and intimate improvisations I've heard here.  It has a lot of jazz chords but nothing you can categorize.  really unique and beautiful.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:41:57 PM
I think this is the gem of the set. It is exquisite in its harmonies, which are neither too acerbic nor overly lush, and in its understated phrases which are full of implication. Nothing here is gratuitously plopped in to fill time. It is my habit, every time Neil posts a set, to make a CD so I can listen several times at leisure through the hi-fi. The experience is invariably worth the trouble. Purely personally, I would place this piece together with the "March to School", in a very high category of improvisation.

Of course the stated image has been done to death by dozens of composers, famous and obscure. Some are a sight more effective than others and I have to say that, for what the comparison is worth, this has just as much of significance and beauty to say on the matter as works such as Bridge's "Dusk".
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 05:13:26 PM
one word... wow :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert