Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Washed Away  (Read 2415 times)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Washed Away
on: October 13, 2010, 03:24:27 AM
I am lying in a flowing stream and the water flows over me turning me around and around. I hear the voices of the stream flow over the stones and filling into my ears. The sound in this improv came to me in sin waves, like, it comes closer then it moves away and then comes closer again etc.
3:00mins
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Washed Away
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:59 AM
Embrace the thickness. I know you often strive for more refined lines, which this displays in detail, but a certain complexity comes through that is very desirable to me. I'm glad that you improvise and record them. :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:02:04 PM
A beautiful tranquil journey. thanks for sharing

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 07:09:41 PM
I enjoy the flowing, trill/arpeggio atmosphere of this piece. It reminds me of a number of Jarrett's recordings. In a lot of his longer ones he'll sometimes reach that "sine wave" state as you've described, and produce an ever changing wave of trills and arpeggios. I like how a melody line starts to sprout out of the piece near the end, like a flower suddenly growing in the soil of the chords.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert