Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2014, 06:36:37 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Art Of Piano: Great Pianists Of The 20th Century

This video documentary provides a survey of 18 extraordinary keyboard artists that dominated the concert world in the mid 20th century, from Ignaz Paderewski to Claudio Arrau. The program effectively blends archival film with video clips, concert footage and rare artist interviews. Featured performers are Vladimir Horowitz, Artur Rubinstein, Sviatoslav Richter, Sergei Rachmaninov, Glenn Gould, Edwin Fischer, Claudio Arrau, Georges Cziffra, Wilhelm Backhaus, Alfred Cortot, Ignacy Jan Paderewski and Francis Plante performing live and on film. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bach chorales -- fingering  (Read 1607 times)
misha1
PS Silver Member

« on: November 27, 2010, 02:23:42 AM »

I was wondering about the fingering for the bach chorales.  I am playing the first one.  The intervals are at time too large for my hands.  Is there a technique to playing them or should I just leave notes out?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
birba
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »

Could you be more specific?  Which chorale are you talking about and is it an arrangement or for organ.
keyboardclass
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »

Some people suggest they're good for sightreading.  As you are finding out they're not.  I'd find something else.
birba
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »

What makes you think he's using them for sight-reading?
misha1
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »

Hi! yes, I will be more specific. The music I have is Bach, Four-part Chorales, 1 -99, for keyboard.  The first one is titled Aus meines Herzens Grunde.    The very first measure has a G and a 10th up is a B in the bass clef.   Same thing in measures 4 and 5.  In measure 6 all 3 counts are intervals of a 10th.  My thoughts are to just play the bottom note.  Any suggestions? Thanks
keyboardclass
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 06:18:56 AM »

What you have is an extract from 371 Harmonized Chorales and 69 Chorale Melodies with figured bass by Albert Riemenschneider.  Its usually just referred to as the 'Riemenschneider'.  To play them you need some understanding from Bach's Three Part Inventions - it's here that you learn how to take more than one part per hand.  In this specific case play the B with the right.
birba
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:13:48 AM »

Thank you keyboardclass!  Then they are the ones I thought they were.  And, yes, they use them for sightreading, too.  Maybe not for beginners, but they can be very useful.
keyboardclass
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »

It just isn't that simple though.  Bach was the first major keyboard pedagogue - look at his sons, 5 out of six became formidable keyboard players (the six was mentally disabled but still supposedly played).   His secret?  He was methodical.  First one part each hand, then three between them, then more.  Playing real three part music was an art.  He understood that and delivered it with great care.  Those who 'leap' into multiple part playing without understanding will falter.  That's why I say it's unwise advice to suggest they're good for early sight reading - advice often given out.
misha1
PS Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »

Thank you Birba and Keyboardclass!!  I actually have been playing the top note of the bass with right hand.  And I will look at the 3 part inventions. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: