Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Beethoven Appassionata 3rd Mov  (Read 2804 times)

Offline cubsfan334

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Beethoven Appassionata 3rd Mov
on: December 18, 2010, 05:44:42 PM

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Beethoven Appassionata 3rd Mov
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:39:18 AM
I think it all depends on what school you're sending it to.  Also, did they ask for this tape or is it something you're sending on your own?  If it's the latter, I might hold off from sending it.  But get other opininons.  There are others here more highly qualified to answer your question.

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:40:27 PM
I would have to agree with birba on this... It is not as good as you could get it to be I am sure. So work on it a little more and re-record it if you want to send this. You would like to do as good a first impression as possible.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:37:18 PM
If they haven't asked, don't send in.
If they have asked, record as good as possible, aka re-record and don't miss the measures :P

Offline cubsfan334

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:46:00 PM

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:33:24 PM
Yeah, but.. That's not how it works. They ask you to play some program, and if you then come and play a bigger program than they ask for, it will probably give you minus points.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:56:39 PM
I should probably have mentioned that I'm not applying to any music schools or departments -- just regular undergraduate programs (I want to be a doctor) and I'm hoping that this will increase my chances of admission, in the same way that a basketball tape of an excellent basketball player would increase his chances.
In that case, I would say go for it.  It would certainly be points in your favor.

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:11 AM
Based on the word of an admissions officer I know, they wouldn't really care unless they asked for it, nor would they look at it.

They have too many applications to look at.  If your qualifications (grades, test scores, volunteering, interview, essays etc etc) meet what the college is looking for, then you'll get in.  If they don't, then you won't.

If you want to be a doctor, then I HIGHLY suggest you hop on over to studentdoctor.net if you haven't already.  The site, and its forums, are an outstanding wealth of information for students interested in the health profession.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:34:02 PM
Based on the word of an admissions officer I know, they wouldn't really care unless they asked for it, nor would they look at it.

They have too many applications to look at.  If your qualifications (grades, test scores, volunteering, interview, essays etc etc) meet what the college is looking for, then you'll get in.  If they don't, then you won't.

If you want to be a doctor, then I HIGHLY suggest you hop on over to studentdoctor.net if you haven't already.  The site, and its forums, are an outstanding wealth of information for students interested in the health profession.

Not true. I submitted probably less-exceptional recordings (on both piano and viola) and the admissions officer of a prestigious university (not a music school, but <10% acceptance rate) specifically told me that they were an important part of why I was accepted, even though I intend to study physics or math. Obviously I had other qualifications too, but the optional supplements I sent weren't ignored.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:39:47 PM
But also from my own college applying experience, I would suggest that you don't necessarily have to submit recordings of super-difficult pieces to be recognized (I sent the third movement of Mozart K. 332 and the first movement of Schubert D. 537, and on viola pieces of the same level) - so I would wonder if there isn't an easier classical sonata movement that you might be able to play more confidently?
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert