Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: May I ask? Trinity or ABRSM exam is better?  (Read 34899 times)

Offline nadia goh

• PS Silver Member
May I ask? Trinity or ABRSM exam is better?
on: January 24, 2011, 12:48:02 AM
I have never taken any piano exam before and would like to take my first exam this year. What would be the better option? Trinity or ABRSM? Your replies are very much appreciated.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: May I ask? Trinity or ABRSM exam is better?
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:36:41 AM
Ultimately - AMEB is better than both of them. They have higher standards of marking and are really picky on who they let pass and fail. Best exam to go for if you're serious about piano.

Offline nadia goh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:48:13 AM
thanks perfect_pitch. however, i should tell you that i'm from malaysia and i don't think ameb is available in my country  :(

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:55 AM
Ahhh... never mind then.   :)

Offline bachbyte

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:44 AM
I've done Trinity Guildhall for grades 1-7 but i'm doing ABRSM grade 8.... I've also done ABRSM on recorder and oboe.... Trinity is now becoming more widely accepted and recognised, so most music colleges and stuff aren't fussed about which board you use. It's probably a matter of personal preference - For Trinity you have far fewer scales, but you have excercises instead, and I think you only have to choose 3 pieces from only 2 lists, A and B, (you have to have at least one from each.) The sight reading is pretty much the same standard for both, and the aural tests are fairly different from each other - you would have to try both lots of aural tests to see which you found easier - personally i find trinity guildhall tests easier because there's less focus on singing/clapping a melody back, and more focus on the character of the music and cadences. For ABRSM there are about a million scales and arpeggios which are a pain to practice, but will improve your technique. For ABRSM pieces you have to choose a piece from list A, B and C. I would decide depending on which syllabus you find best for you, and whether or not you like the choice of pieces that year. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:27:24 PM
In principle they are exactly equivalent. Most teachers (I'm not a teacher, but I know lots of them) have strong opinions one way or the other. On the whole I suspect there really isn't much to choose!
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:06:40 PM
Glad you chimed in Richard. Believe it or not, I haven't an opinion on this one! lol ;D
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:05 PM
ignore those piano grades, just study as much as possible ;)
1+1=11

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:04:07 AM
Both AbRSM and Trinity are just as hard. they are similar in diffuculty. Only a handfull of exam authorities around the world can match the standard of AMEB because it's standards of playing and expectations are high, I heard. For one maybe the RCM in Canada is definitely a match for AMEB, I think.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline annabona

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:16 PM
As a teacher I much more prefer Trinity exams. ABRSM are more about quantity than quality. If you are really musical, Trinity is much better in appreciating musical talent. While with the other one if you are hardworking and learn everything even if you don't have any musical feeling in your playing, then ABRSM will give good points. That is how it happens that some of my highly sensitive and musical students get less points than those who has no talent whatsoever but are confident with wrong posture, ugly fingers and no dynamics. Very unfair, they don't see the whole person and the music behind, just ticking the exercises. I would avoid if you born for music.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:36 PM
Which is why I like the ABRSM - They demand good emotional playing and pianistic playing to get their pass. Plus they don't rate pieces using points. How do you measure someone Rachmaninoff as 16/20 or 13/20 etc???

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 01:12:23 AM
I have only ever taken ABRSM.  By the way this is a question for the original poster... what grade exam are you hoping to take?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert