Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Revolutionary Etude  (Read 22077 times)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Revolutionary Etude
on: January 26, 2011, 11:24:27 AM

The sound is not good at all. Sometimes it even sound like one note is hit twice, but I didn't hit it twice! :(

Somewhat rushed in some places, but good enough!

Comments are more than welcome! :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Revolutionary Etude
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:01:40 AM
Excellent!  I liked the tempo and the sparse use of the pedal.  Just two things - accent the initial a-flat in each of those left hand runs at the beginning and at the reprise.  You do it fine when you play it together with the right hand.  Be careful that those dotted rythms in the right hand are always "stretti".  Sometimes you play that sixteenth note too "lazy".
Other then that it was a great performance!

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:24:14 PM
Birba what an earth are you talking about? ::) :-[

The performance was musically INEPT and technically SENSITIVE. It is interesting I have been preparing the revolutionary and I play it nothing like this ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgeting our "differences" pianostein you need to be actutely rythmic to make an impression. This etude is all about the balance between impetuous rythmic desire and technical sensitivity. Good 1st try.....let's see what materialises over the years!
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:35:35 PM
musically inept, eh? How, exactly, is My interpretation inept, while yours are already masterpieces of their own?
And do you say it's technically incomplete? HA!

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:03:45 PM
It is interesting I have been preparing the revolutionary and I play it nothing like this ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

To you it's interesting. For everyone else it's a good sign.

Forgeting our "differences" pianostein you need to be actutely rythmic to make an impression.

But what, this talk about rhythm comes from someone who came up with those child-like TE attempts, where the Wilde Jagd rhythm generally dissolves into...well, the overall puddle of mud really...

...oh sorry, I forgot this is pianisten's thread...

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 04:56:47 PM
It is interesting I have been preparing the revolutionary and I play it nothing like this ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is actually an unintended compliment towards pianisten1989, because nobody with some musical sense wants to play it anywhere near like you play it.
1+1=11

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:36 PM
so, instead of commenting what he wrote, maybe you could say what you think of the recording? :P

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:07:47 PM
Yeah, for sure! Sorry!

The recording quality is indeed unfortunate. By the way, you might want to get rid of that ad by claiming to Youtube that it's original content.

It's an interesting approach that you have towards the RH melody, and absolutely wonderful to hear someone trying to do something different - with some proper thought and judgement - amidst this plague of institutionalised music playing that we have today. (and one wonders why classical music is dying, if such is the perception!)

Anyway! I wonder if such treatment can (or should) be more consistent like so in the middle section. And I have to say I'm not so sure it works out so well in the recap - the rhythm is written more incisively here, so my feeling is your approach doesn't work as well as the first time. But maybe what you can try to do is, in the middle section get gradually more and more (rhythmically, among others) anxious, and make the return more incisive until the G-flat major surprise.

Just a suggestion! It sounds technically secure etc...really, thanks for sharing!

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:39:51 PM
Now when you say it, I agree about the recap, it would be better if it was more stressful on the way to the climax.

About the link, how do I make it into a video?

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:44:16 PM
Instead of the hyperlink, use the Youtube button ;)

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 10:59:32 PM
Hey pianisten1989. Before I comment , just a quick thingy. Since you think im lying about being 12 just think of me as a 69 year old argentinian Pianist with the inititals. "MA" ( Just joking).

Anyway I thought you actually sounded OK , that is if I could really hear you.  It seems the recording quality was yuck, but the pianist was OK, maybe better than OK. I know your better than me thats for sure.

You seem to be a serious pianist.  Well. both of my parents being professional musicans have always made sure that when our family records its really high quality.  Thats my only advice to you.  Get yourself a good recording setup.  Your playing deserves it. 

Cheers, Becky

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 08:56:53 AM
Hey pianisten1989. Before I comment , just a quick thingy. Since you think im lying about being 12 just think of me as a 69 year old argentinian Pianist with the inititals. "MA" ( Just joking).

Anyway I thought you actually sounded OK , that is if I could really hear you.  It seems the recording quality was yuck, but the pianist was OK, maybe better than OK. I know your better than me thats for sure.

You seem to be a serious pianist.  Well. both of my parents being professional musicans have always made sure that when our family records its really high quality.  Thats my only advice to you.  Get yourself a good recording setup.  Your playing deserves it. 

Cheers, Becky

Haha,maybe you just are a very grown up 12 year old? :D

No, but seriously, thank you. As I said somewhere else, I have an Edirol, which is as good as you can get for a normal amount of money. And most people say that it's very close to professional - but I suck at things like this. I have to find someone who can help me with it, cause it's really annoying.

Thx for commenting! :D

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:41:04 AM
so, instead of commenting what he wrote, maybe you could say what you think of the recording? :P

If you insist... ;)

The technique of your left hand is obviously good. It is clear and the pedalling is good.
The things you could pay attention to is mainly your right hand, its is quite sloppy in both rythm and clearity of notes.
Secondly: Maybe the problem is the recording, but now it all sounds just loud. You should pick some spots where you hold back more, so you get more tention and a better climax in this piece.
Last thing you think about, is emphazising that upper Es in the left hand even more by for example holding the pedal abit longer so that note sounds through abit longer. But that is suppose abit of a personal style of mine.

May the finer finetuning start! ;)

Gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:09 AM
Thx :D

I actually like the right hand not being too strict. I know he wrote that, and I'm not saying I am better than Chopin in any way, but 2 billion pianists has already played it very very strict - the world doesn't need yet one more pianist to play like everybody else.
Please, don't see this as a cocky "I'm better than everyone else"! :(

I really don't like blaming something else but me when it's about my playing, but the lack of dynamics is actually due to the recording. It's the same with L'isle joyeuse - I bang the piano as much as I can in the coda, but it still sounds exactly the same as when I use left pedal and barely touch the keys...

About the highest note in l.h. - That's really cool if you go for a virtuosity in the performance, if not necessary, but since I go for more of a melodic interpretation, it would just sound overdone.

Though, I really appreciate your comment :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert