Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Bach WTCII P&F No. 6 in D Minor  (Read 3276 times)

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Bach WTCII P&F No. 6 in D Minor
on: March 01, 2011, 06:40:15 AM
Some things I'm disappointed with:
Tempo issues
Consistency of touch
Consistency of mordents in the prelude
Overall dynamic contrast/direction in some sections

Recorded using a Snowball microphone on setting #1

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach WTCII P&F No. 6 in D Minor
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:10:18 PM
I think you're being excessively harsh on yourself!  That really wasn't bad at all.
I think you're exaggerating the staccato touch in the prelude.  I would play it more "non legato" then actually detached every 16th note - in fact, the opening was clearly detached and after that it sort of became non legato.  I think a more firm pianistic (as opposed to clavicembalistic) touch is more appropriate.  but other then this I thought it was very well played. 
Decide what phrasing you want for the subject in the fugue and stick to it.  I would close the first phrase at the a, then begin anew at the descending chromatic line, close again at the a, lift and slight accent on the tied 8th note and end on the f.  this is just an idea, you can do it any number of other ways, but be consistent and always play it that way during the whole fugue.  Perhaps at the stretto, bring out more the beginning of each voice as they interrupt each other.
Follow the direction of the line in the voice - sometimes it sounded flat - piatto - all the same.  We have to make use of all the colors of the piano - even if it is baroque and written clearly for another instrument.

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:54:00 PM
Thanks for the advice and for your compliments, Birba!

A note on the very staccato touch: The staccato is much more pronounced in this recording than in the live performance from our hall.  In the hall it sounded much more like the touch you were describing: a firm non-legato.  The hall I perform in is very "wet" acoustically, so I had to adjust my touch accordingly. 

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:40:24 AM
Hi omar,

I think you're quite good at playing Bach!  I haven't played any Bach for almost 50 years now, but I know good playing when I hear it.  You have a fine sense of articulation, rhythmic sense, blending in the ornaments, attending to the voices in the fugue, and making Bach expressive rather than dry.  Birba's suggestion on playing nonlegato is a good one.  Overall, yours is a fine recording.

David 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:36:58 PM
David,
Thank you for your kind words!  There is so much emotion within Bach's music that can be brought out.  One needs only to listen!

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:24:37 PM
Omar,

I think that was very nice. Overall, a good performace. :)
Like you said, there were a few things that you have to work on, but the good things is you seem to have the right feel for this piece, so working out the kinks shoudn't be too hard.
I'm actually playing this piece soon, after I finish the Bach P&F I'm already doing, so it was nice hearing you play it.
Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert