Piano Forum

Topic: What's the best way to play Chopin's etude Op10n12?  (Read 7353 times)

Offline gustavob

• PS Silver Member
What's the best way to play Chopin's etude Op10n12?
on: March 04, 2011, 07:19:53 AM
I'm a newbie in piano technique and i need a list on which methods i should study in order to play Chopin's etude Op10n12.

Thanks in advance

Offline seanramon

• PS Silver Member
Re: What's the best way to play Chopin's etude Op10n12?
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:25:02 PM
Chopin's Opus 10, number 12 involves the folliwng technuqies: scales, and arpeggios with syncopation.

Firstly, except for two places (bars 75 and 80), the tempo should remain constant throughout (and this is no easy task). Secondly, although the marking only appears once (bar 81), it is suggested that as well as playing allegro con fuoco you should also add appassionato to this piece overall. Also, this work should better be played throughout with no sustaining pedal.

A study guide to this piece, as well as for the other Opus 10 parts, can be found   here..

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:26:12 PM
If you are a noob in technique, don't start with this piece. It will take you forever, and you will probably get hurt..

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:08:53 PM
I'm a newbie in piano technique and i need a list on which methods i should study in order to play Chopin's etude Op10n12.

Thanks in advance

A couple of things in your post are unclear.

• What does “newbie in piano technique” mean in practical terms?  How much experience do you have with piano and to what level of proficiency?

• By “a list on which methods  I should study,” are you referring to specific manners of practice or specific types of practice routines?  Or do you want an inventory of the specific techniques employed in this piece?

If you are a beginner (as your post seem to suggest) and this etude is a sort of “dream piece” for you, you should discuss your goals with your teacher (who can assist in developing a strategy to achieve them).  If you are self-taught, it will be an even tougher road.

In any case there’s no magic formula for acquiring the set of skills needed to play advanced repertoire, nor is it feasible to skip over the intermediate steps in the process of building those skills.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Re: What's the best way to play Chopin's etude Op10 n12?
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:34:42 PM
There is no specific exercises in which you can employ because one thing that works for someone might not work with another player. If you do not have enough confidence to tackle this piece then do not. Go try some Chopin waltzes or preludes or mazurkas. There are a lot of other Chopin pieces out there worth trying.
Good luck anyways.

HH
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline becky8898

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:38:52 AM
I totally dont get what you mean by newbie.  but here is your list.

1. Bach inventions.
2. Bach fugues
3. Mozart Sonata's
4. Clementi
5. Scales,
6. Arpegio's
7. Beethoven
8. Czerny
9. Hanon

Yes I know im being a pill. Sorry its been a long day. but how about a little info so everyone here can give you an answer that takes into account where you are as a pianist.

cheers, Becky

Offline gustavob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 11:25:46 AM
A couple of things in your post are unclear.

• What does “newbie in piano technique” mean in practical terms?  How much experience do you have with piano and to what level of proficiency?

• By “a list on which methods  I should study,” are you referring to specific manners of practice or specific types of practice routines?  Or do you want an inventory of the specific techniques employed in this piece?

If you are a beginner (as your post seem to suggest) and this etude is a sort of “dream piece” for you, you should discuss your goals with your teacher (who can assist in developing a strategy to achieve them).  If you are self-taught, it will be an even tougher road.

In any case there’s no magic formula for acquiring the set of skills needed to play advanced repertoire, nor is it feasible to skip over the intermediate steps in the process of building those skills.

I study piano for 2 years, i'm using/studying:
  • Beyer Op. 101 - 100, 102, 104
  • Anna Magdalene Bach - 4
  • Burgmüller 25 études Op. 100 - 3, 5, 18
  • Muzio Clementi Op 36 - 1

Here in Brazil, we call this books "methods", i just don't know if i'm translating into the right term. But both lists of specific practive and inventory of specific techniques will help.

I talk about it with my teacher, but I want to get more opinnions about it.  :)

Offline gustavob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:27:28 AM
I totally dont get what you mean by newbie.  but here is your list.

1. Bach inventions.
2. Bach fugues
3. Mozart Sonata's
4. Clementi
5. Scales,
6. Arpegio's
7. Beethoven
8. Czerny
9. Hanon

Yes I know im being a pill. Sorry its been a long day. but how about a little info so everyone here can give you an answer that takes into account where you are as a pianist.

cheers, Becky

The list is on my last post.

Offline john11inc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:07:11 PM
10-12 isn't really a piece that you can just randomly work up.  The only real difficulty is in the scalar passages; all you should have to practice are your scales.  If your scales are up to snuff, you can play 10-12.  If they're not, you can't play it.  Pretty much as simple as that.  It's not a very difficult piece compared to other serious repertoire, but it's also not a student piece.  If you want this to be in your repertoire sooner than it otherwise might, just emphasize scales in your practicing routine.
If this work is so threatening, it is not because it's simply strange, but competent, rigorously argued and carrying conviction.

-Jacques Derrida

https://www.youtube.com/user/john11inch

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 02:56:46 PM
I study piano for 2 years, i'm using/studying:
  • Beyer Op. 101 - 100, 102, 104
  • Anna Magdalene Bach - 4
  • Burgmüller 25 études Op. 100 - 3, 5, 18
  • Muzio Clementi Op 36 - 1

Here in Brazil, we call this books "methods", i just don't know if i'm translating into the right term. But both lists of specific practive and inventory of specific techniques will help.

I talk about it with my teacher, but I want to get more opinnions about it.  :)

The left hand’s passages in Op. 10 No. 12 contain much disjunct movement and arpeggiated chords that require dexterity, evenness and endurance.  I recommend having a look at Czerny’s set of studies for the left hand; many of them contain types of figuration that are similar to what’s found in Chopin’s etude, and they might be effective for training the kind of control and coordination that you’ll eventually need:

https://imslp.org/wiki/24_Piano_Studies_for_the_Left_Hand,_Op.718_(Czerny,_Carl)

Also, don’t underestimate the challenge of the right hand’s role in Op. 10/12.  Executing relatively dense chords with force and precision at high speed isn’t easy, especially where there are skips in dotted rhythm.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:21:17 PM
Here in Brazil...

De onde você é? Aonde você estuda?
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 07:37:00 AM
I find it hard to doubt that left-handed pianists will have a distinct advantage in trying to play the Opus 10 Number 12.   I would advise against trying to stretch the left hand in the course of doing the arpeggios.  Start by putting your third finger on the A-flat above middle C;  the initial fingering for the left hand will be 3413231323132313231323141414143.  Well begun is half done.  Since this is the revolutionary etude (note that the melody in the treble clef at measures 27-28 is what the last notes of the Marseillaise would be, if done in B-flat major -- did James Huneker realize this? -- I don't think so), it seems fully in keeping with the spirit of the piece to make the piano howl out those first semiquavers in the left hand.  When you get to measure 9, it's time to start avoiding trying to stretch the left hand too much.  I recommend a fingering of 5143214323412341, for the left hand of that measure, as a model fingering for the rest of the piece.  I think if one is going to do any Chopin etudes, this is a good one to start with;  its technical demands do not reach the merciless level of Opus 25 Number 4.  This is the first post I'm making to pianostreet and I'll be interested to see what reaction it gets!

Offline gustavob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 04:00:31 PM
De onde você é? Aonde você estuda?

Sou de Recife, estudo no conservatório pernambucano de música. E tu?

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 11:45:20 PM
Sou de Recife, estudo no conservatório pernambucano de música. E tu?

Sou de São Paulo. Estudo por conta :p.

Esse estudo ai eu tirei copiando as partes mais dificeis e montando tipo uma partitura minha, com os compassos separados.

Offline gustavob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 02:10:24 AM
Sou de São Paulo. Estudo por conta :p.

Esse estudo ai eu tirei copiando as partes mais dificeis e montando tipo uma partitura minha, com os compassos separados.

Como assim "estuda por conta"? Vem partituras na conta d'água e luz? =)

A coisa do estudo pianístico é similar a isso que você me sugeriu, mas qual foi o procedimento específico? Pode comentar?

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 12:42:26 PM
Como assim "estuda por conta"? Vem partituras na conta d'água e luz? =)

A coisa do estudo pianístico é similar a isso que você me sugeriu, mas qual foi o procedimento específico? Pode comentar?

Por conta própria, não tenho professor.

Como assim, procedimento específico? Eu fui ouvindo uma gravação e lendo a partitura.

Offline gustavob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 01:10:28 PM
Por conta própria, não tenho professor.

Como assim, procedimento específico? Eu fui ouvindo uma gravação e lendo a partitura.

Como que cê aprendeu a coisa dos movimentos dos braços/mãos/dedos?

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:45 PM
Como que cê aprendeu a coisa dos movimentos dos braços/mãos/dedos?

Lendo livros e vendo gente tocando no youtube.

Offline gustavob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 10:05:58 PM
Lendo livros e vendo gente tocando no youtube.

Que livros cê leu? Eu comprei um do Seymour Fink que fala sobre, tenho também um da Aiko Onishi: "Pianism".

Cê tem gravação de você tocando ela?

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 12:00:45 AM
tenho nao
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert