Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Fantasie Impromtu  (Read 3819 times)

Offline wtfnametaken

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Fantasie Impromtu
on: March 08, 2011, 02:03:53 AM
I need help with combing left hand and right hand. I am able to play the right hand and left separately but when I tried to combine them I found a problem. The left hand is are tuplets if I'm correct if not please correct me and I can't find a way to combine them together. Any help/advice to be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline nataliethepianist

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Fantasie Impromtu
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:17:52 AM
Hello. I am learning this piece now, and it is difficult to play the hands together, I agree. Something that helped me was play the right hand, and play the left hand along with it. But instead of playing, for instance the first measure C#, G#, C# and E, you would just play the base C# and then the E. It is helpful to use a mentronome. Eventually the 2 middle notes will slur together! Try not to think about these 2 notes. Just, as said before, slur them together!

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:22:11 AM
One suggested method which has been raised numerous times is to be very familiar with hands separate, then you just put them together and switch on autopilot. Mileage may vary.

May I direct you to bernhard's post in this thread, where he directs you to further resources.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=5663.0
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:17:50 AM
just wondering, what did bernard mean by "Personally, I believe that if you are tackling pieces of this level, you should be well beyond counting. That is, you should be able to do it without any help from counting. If you are still counting time, it is possible you are not really ready for these pieces."?

Is he saying that when you're at the level of fantasie you should not have any problems with 3-4 whatsoever?

Or is he saying that you shouldn't count the beats in a specific way?

I would understand it the first way, but that doesn't really make sense to me. I mean isn't the rhythm the reason why fantasie-impromptu is hard? If you are "well beyond" 3-4 coordination, then all fantasie-impromptu is is another somewhat fast and showy piece... it's not really that hard...

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:07:56 PM
I'm learning this piece too, im almost done with it.

I find really easy too play hands together. You just need to see wich notes are played together. I mean, on the first measure, the first Fx is played togheter with E on left hand, than you have a D# played togheter with E on left hand again, but on a lower octave. Just pay atention to this.
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert