Piano Forum

Topic: learn Piano with piano chord calculator  (Read 4172 times)

Offline john_fagrot

• PS Silver Member

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: learn Piano with piano chord calculator
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:48:31 AM
You signed up simply to post that???

TROLL!!!

Offline soitainly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:38:11 PM
 Just what I needed, a way to learn piano with a simple chord calculator. And it comes in a can, just like SPAM.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:20:57 PM
I've never understood why there are so many products out there with dozens of charts of chords and scales. All you really need to know is the pattern for the major mode, and understand where the pattern of the minor modes fit in to that. Then, you can teach yourself all chords in them by stacking thirds on top of each other, and eventually other kinds of intervals. Inversions just put notes in different places by displacing them by octaves. It takes time and practice to get them all down--I think at the slow pace I went it took me 4 years to learn all 24 major and minor scales and their chords, but I think the intimate familiarity with them through experimentation helped remove the false perception that it is an extremely complex thing to learn. "Calculators" and chord charts just help maintain the belief amongst many that it's a towering edifice of knowledge, when in reality all of it can be learned from a handful of simple patterns.

Chord charts for guitar are even funnier---because chords do not change their shape when transposed (except in cases where open strings are used I suppose). At least on piano, a chord chart might help someone who is uncomfortable with counting " 1...2...3" to find a third inside a scale.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert