Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2  (Read 3618 times)

Offline carbe

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2
on: March 14, 2011, 09:32:20 PM

I am playing Chopin's Nocturne op 9 no 2 in Eb.
I wish I could record this piece on a grand piano, but this is what I had at the moment.
Hope you like it, enjoy!
I\'m a classical, boogie woogie and pop/rock pianist.

Offline grouchomarx

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:05:22 PM
Hi

You obviously know the notes, which is most of the hard work. Now you need to start thinking about the dynamics. I don't know if it's just the digital piano or your playing but there isn't a lot of dynamic contrast. For example at the very end where it goes from piano to forte(con forza) you play it at the same volume throughout. You should also increase the tempo. This is followed by ff, which you play very softly.

Also the left hand chords should always decrease in volume, so that the first note (with the dot above it) should be the loudest, then the two following should decrease in volume.

I suggest you look at the sheet music and try to more thoroughly incorporate the dynamic markings. You can also listen to some of the great recordings on youtube, Rubinstein is my personal favorite.

Offline carbe

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:13:01 AM
Hi

You obviously know the notes, which is most of the hard work. Now you need to start thinking about the dynamics. I don't know if it's just the digital piano or your playing but there isn't a lot of dynamic contrast. For example at the very end where it goes from piano to forte(con forza) you play it at the same volume throughout. You should also increase the tempo. This is followed by ff, which you play very softly.

Also the left hand chords should always decrease in volume, so that the first note (with the dot above it) should be the loudest, then the two following should decrease in volume.

I suggest you look at the sheet music and try to more thoroughly incorporate the dynamic markings. You can also listen to some of the great recordings on youtube, Rubinstein is my personal favorite.

Hi! Thanks for your comment.
I can blame a little on the digital piano, it's harder to play with dynamic on a digital piano than a grand piano. But mostly I can just blame myself.
Thanks for your advice, I'll check the notes again. Then I'll record a new version on a grand piano!
I\'m a classical, boogie woogie and pop/rock pianist.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert