Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Shigeru Grand 6'6" For Sale to the right home  (Read 10538 times)

Offline shigeru

• PS Silver Member
Shigeru Grand 6'6" For Sale to the right home
on: March 21, 2011, 03:05:30 AM
Shigeru Kawai 6'6 - Concert Performer's Grand For Sale - due to medical issues (Cumming, GA)
This is a performance instrument, played and appreciated by world class pianists. The Shigeru Kawai is a limited production instrument - https://www.shigerukawai.com/Pages/sk5.html and this Shigeru Kawai is the first one shipped to North America - It is Shigeru Kawai No. 3 and signed by Mr. Kawai himself. The action and sound is incomparable, according to the many concert and performing musicians that have played it. Only a few of these are made each year. And this one was especially crafted for its owner. A Rare Treasure... Fewer than one percent of all Kawai instruments will ever bear the name SHIGERU. The rigorous degree of handwork and use of specially chosen materials keeps these instruments rare in both character and quantity. Each SHIGERU piano is a Limited Edition treasure selectively numbered for North America by year of creation.

If you need to know more, the piano is probably not for you .. but I welcome your interest and examination of this extraordinary instrument, as the sale is forced due to medical reasons.  Reply to pbbaron@gmail.com - serious inquiries only. 

Offline cmrva

• PS Silver Member
Re: Shigeru Grand 6'6" For Sale to the right home
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:26:03 PM
Okay I'll bite- What is the price range of this? If you have to ask you can't afford it kinda pricing?

Looks beautiful and certainly has a sexy pedigree. Heck you even suggest it needs to go to the "right home", so I guess we have to audition for you? ;) I have played for 40 years without benefit of piano lessons and my dog reads music better than me, but I love my pianos, and respect all the "real players" out there. Do I qualify?

Offline shigeru

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:50 PM
Thank you for your questions.  Funny you mention about the audition .. my wife had to audition for the privilege of our taking out a mortgage and selling our first born ... just kidding ... but she did audition before being able to buy this particular Shigeru, which was then autographed by Kawai - due to the extraordinary action I am told.  As for the price ... best offer over $65K.  And we would like to see it go to an appreciative, playing home.  Like a good sports car, it should be driven often.  Sadly, my wife's illness keeps the sounds in our home at a minimum these days.  I want to get her a digital grand, to 'remember' her playing.  Thank you for your serious inquiries. 

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:35:29 PM
Shigeru, respects!  I hope your family's health becomes good and the best very soon.

I have played instruments like this (same model, at least) and its larger cousin the SK7.  They are indeed very good.  If someone was going to give me a gift and offered me a Steinway C, a Fazioli F 228 and a SK7, I would take the SK7 without doubt.

That being said, I imagine you understand the market for your instrument is very  limited, used as it is.  A person discerning enough to understand how good your piano is, is also likely to understand very well that one can buy three really good pianos larger than the SK6 for the money you just described.

If you really mean to part with the instrument (probably you don't), I think you will have to price it at less than half of what you just said.  Otherwise, why would anyone seriously consider getting this instead of, say, an August Forster or a Mason (depending on taste), which you can get new for a fraction of $65K?  When you get to that amount, you can get a Bluthner Model II or a Steingraeber C-212; a matter of taste, of course, but at least for me at that point the SK6 would just get a smile of appreciation and a kind "see you later."

I wish for you that you can continue to enjoy the instrument, and that you turn out not to have to part with it.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline jcl_pdx

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:41 PM
Wondering if this piano has already found a new home? (i know it's been well over 4 years since the post!)

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 12:37:26 AM
I've touched many grand pianos in showrooms and the most interesting time I had was when I played a Shigeru Kawai a couple of years back. It was a real delight to play. Did not want to move on from that piano.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline biscot

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 02:20:27 AM
I can totally relate. I was looking for a piano, went to a showroom with a Shigeru Kawai SK-5L (6'7"), couldn't get up from it for several hours, and ended up buying it!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:46:53 AM
best thing about shigerus is that theyre far cheaper than their euro grand piano cousins. I mean, 100,000 for a fazioli??? MINIMUM???

fck off italy

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:01:38 AM
Instantly enamored w sk the instant i played my first one
 Sleeper of a piano. Probably finest in the world. That quality in americab or euro brand would have a 40k or so premium over what they can be had for.  The kawai kids in that side of the business and craft are utterly obsessed with perfection. It is my grail instrument, a bucket list aquisition.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert