Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: 3 against 5 in Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 32 no. 5  (Read 6338 times)

Offline thompson_321

• PS Silver Member
3 against 5 in Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 32 no. 5
on: April 05, 2011, 09:18:41 AM
Is their any special rhythm which can helps for this cross rhythm. Thanks.

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Re: 3 against 5 in Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 32 no. 5
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:32:12 PM
Hi thompson,

I have a little thing I use to help wth polyrythms. If I'm trying to learn 3 against 5 I'll go for a walk. I clap to keep the beat, I'll step 5 times per beat, and I'll count 3 times per beat out loud. (I usually do this in a secluded place where I won't be looked at as mentally insane.... :P)
I do this for a while, and then I go back to the piano. I hope you understood all that, it really helps for me, so you may wanna try it. Good luck ! :)
Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor

Offline thompson_321

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:28:39 PM
Hi thompson,

I have a little thing I use to help wth polyrythms. If I'm trying to learn 3 against 5 I'll go for a walk. I clap to keep the beat, I'll step 5 times per beat, and I'll count 3 times per beat out loud. (I usually do this in a secluded place where I won't be looked at as mentally insane.... :P)
I do this for a while, and then I go back to the piano. I hope you understood all that, it really helps for me, so you may wanna try it. Good luck ! :)
That sounds difficult! I'll give it a try! Thanks.

Offline aintgotnorhythm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:59:56 AM
I really struggle with this sort of thing (I even find 2 against 3 a challenge!) so what I do is take a mathematical approach. The lowest common multiple of 3 and 5 is 15, so I would write out the offending phrase in 15ths, practice it completely separately, taking it really slow to begin with and then speeding up until it fits with the rest of the piece.

I also find it helpful to come up with a sequence of words whose syllables naturally match up to the timing of the notes when spoken out loud.

Mostly though I completely avoid this kind of piece ...

Offline raisinbrahms

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:28:05 AM
With polyrhythms, I have to actually sit down and figure out mathematically where each beat goes and then practice it with my hands in my lap or something until I can "feel" the composite rhythm.  This is a real pain, of course, but once you have it down, you really have it down.

Here's a site that shows how to line up 3 against 5.  Scroll down to example 14 and have fun

https://f.unkster.tripod.com/polyrhythm.html
 ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert