Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Revolutionary Etude (Op10 #12)  (Read 3032 times)

Offline c_vince

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Revolutionary Etude (Op10 #12)
on: August 22, 2004, 03:35:23 AM
I am an ARCT student in RCM (wonder if any of you know what it is).

I started playing this piece in the beginning of this year, and I still have problems playing it...

I practice it very regularly, and I try hard to fix my problems, but I still can't get it to sound (technically) the way I want it to sound.

My left hand is always tired when I place this piece, and I always break down around the middle (where the beginning returns).. Its really bugging me, because I'm in love with a piece I cannot play... My left hand doesn't want to go as fast as I'd like it,  and regardless of how much I practice this thing, I can't get it to go fast enough, and end up getting super tired near the middle...

does anybody have any pointers of how to practice the piece? My teacher tells me to relax, but with all these fast notes... I can only relax till around the end of the first page.

Thank you for all your help, and hecking with my appologetic nature (I know.. its a problem)

Offline Pumpkinhead

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Revolutionary Etude (Op10 #12)
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 11:00:31 AM
Yeah, Vince I love this piece too! anyways, I had that same problem for the first 2 months of practice. However, it's all about the looseness of the wrist. Practice down the first run and use a circular motion with the wrist. Once you know the song like the back of your hand, it comes alot easier. Believe me, with the looseness, I have no fatigue after playing the Revolutionary. Best Regards

Offline Max

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 02:07:09 PM
Remember, its a study on legato, more than speed - when practising it, I would slow it down slightly, and make sure that your left hand legato is up to scratch.

As for speed, you should play until you start to get tired, then stop, wait for the 'tiredness' to go, then try again. Do it a few times a day, and you'll see improvement.

Heh, are you taking a diploma at the Royal College of Music? I would love to in a couple of years (when I'm 18) but I want to get the academic stuff out the way first.

Offline c_vince

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 08:47:11 PM
Remember, its a study on legato, more than speed - when practising it, I would slow it down slightly, and make sure that your left hand legato is up to scratch.

As for speed, you should play until you start to get tired, then stop, wait for the 'tiredness' to go, then try again. Do it a few times a day, and you'll see improvement.

Heh, are you taking a diploma at the Royal College of Music? I would love to in a couple of years (when I'm 18) but I want to get the academic stuff out the way first.

No.. Not that prestigious... the Royal Conserveratory of Music

https://www.rcmexaminations.org

I have a life outside of piano as well. I'm going into my first year of university this september.

Offline johnjwong

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 11:18:28 PM
im Grade 10 RCM in canada, u live in canada too right?
Hmmm, Can you tell me what book you use for ARCT?  Like what piece do you practice for ARCT level and what are the qualified ARCT Performance Exam Pieces?

Offline in_love_with_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 12:05:32 AM
If this etude is tiring to you, you should really look at how your playing. Etudes aren't meant to exhaust you, they're meant to test your fluidity at various skills. Make sure you're not tense, as that is usually the cause of fatigue.
wOOt! I have a website now! It's spiffy!

Offline johnjwong

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 02:36:46 PM
Well, the same thing happen to me when i played fantasia impromptu, but i found that the problem was i have to relax my hand and maybe because of my keyboard, my keyboard's keys are hard and cannot use it to play high level fast runs.  Try to relax your hand when you play and if u practice more, you'll get it ^_^
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert