Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach - Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, BWV859 (WTC I)  (Read 2870 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Bach - Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, BWV859 (WTC I)
on: October 09, 2011, 10:31:48 PM
the prelude and fugue in f# minor.. back on the steinway D.  i had this set prepared a few days ago but didnt have access, so i waited till it was avilable since i got some bad reviews on other pianos... :)

the f# is a two-part invention, which means he uses the same material thruout the whole piece, either in original form or developing it in some way.
the fugue is four part fugue, but only a few bars have all four voices playing at the same time.  it is solemn and slow, and features a beautiful but somewhat hard to hear inversion of the fugue theme.

(15)

UPDATE: 2/1/13 surreptitously replaced this prelude and fugue, as i came to find my previous performance in a word boring!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach - Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, BWV859 (WTC I)
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:42:02 PM
Ahh what a relief and pleasure to hear this music played so musically and with so much love and understanding!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:24:31 PM
i appreaciate the complement!  i very much enjoyed learrning this fugue, and was not very familiar with it before i started.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:55:10 AM
Nice use of pedal in the prelude! Most of the recordings hear are fast but you played it at a steady tempo.

PS My friend was learning this P&F so thats why I dug it up.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:18:34 PM
Nice use of pedal in the prelude! Most of the recordings hear are fast but you played it at a steady tempo.

PS My friend was learning this P&F so thats why I dug it up.

JL

thanks. i am not sure what a lot of peopel are going for, when they play this prelude at a very fast and fiery tempo. other than fast and firey. sounds better to me with a lyrical touch.. how does your friend do it.

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:49:47 PM
Your Bach is so beautiful. I wonder sometimes if human beings deserve such music.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 03:56:21 PM
Your Bach is so beautiful. I wonder sometimes if human beings deserve such music.

thanks for the compliment but isn't that a pessimistic attitude? after al a human being wrote the music!

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:12 PM
This is very true. Nevertheless Bach was a very unusual and exceptional genius. There is something so movingly spiritual in his music -and it seems so at odds with the money driven materialism  that has devoured our 'civilisation' - even at odds with Bachs' own nature sometimes!

I am not a religious person, unlike Bach -( I don't believe we were created by an alien entity -ie God - no human, after all could come close to creating a universe! )

Maybe I didn't mean humans don't deserve the music - it is more that the race as a whole is unworthy of it - not perhaps individuals at certain times - like Mother Teresa or others who display amazing compassion.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 02:09:06 PM
This is very true. Nevertheless Bach was a very unusual and exceptional genius. There is something so movingly spiritual in his music -and it seems so at odds with the money driven materialism  that has devoured our 'civilisation' - even at odds with Bachs' own nature sometimes!

I am not a religious person, unlike Bach -( I don't believe we were created by an alien entity -ie God - no human, after all could come close to creating a universe! )

Maybe I didn't mean humans don't deserve the music - it is more that the race as a whole is unworthy of it - not perhaps individuals at certain times - like Mother Teresa or others who display amazing compassion.

maybe you are right but the overwhelming materialism is surely an argument for the music not against!  the more people are alienated form the spiritual or human surely the more they need music that is pure in both.

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:22:40 PM
like Mother Teresa or others who display amazing compassion...
https://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2003/10/mommie_dearest.html
Incidentally, Hitchens just died recently.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert