Piano Forum

Topic: Two new improvisations posted on YouTube  (Read 2082 times)

Offline karsty

• PS Silver Member
Two new improvisations posted on YouTube
on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:39 PM
Hello all,

I'm very new here and delighted to see that there is a special place for improvisers and their improvisations. I recently posted two new improvisations on YouTube, played live in a concert here in Spain. The grand piano (Steinway D) was particularly inspiring. Hope you enjoy them, and any comments are welcome! Very best wishes, Karsty

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: Two new improvisations posted on YouTube
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:10 PM
Karst, these were really enjoyable! Welcome to the pianostreet improv index! There's a wide range of idiom that seems to inspire your playing. Out of curiosity are you a professional musician, amateur, etc? How did you get opportunities to play in concert?

*edit* A more interesting question. "How" do you improvise? In other words, do you have themes that crystallize over time upon which you elaborate, or do you improvise without any prior concept of how the music will sound? Do you imagine what you will play several seconds or more in advance, or do you play something randomly and then react to it in a chaotic feedback loop, or a combination?

Also, could you comment a bit on physical technique in improvisation? A lot of us here have discussed this at length and since improvisation is such a vast topic, there's obviously no consensus on how to approach it. However, one theme which I believe is fairly common is that of "physical convenience." In other words, improvisation must use a lot of generic, convenient figures and shapes that can be broken up rhythmically and melodically. Anything highly physically complex that must be practiced as in a piece may not be able to be used in an improvisation except as a "lick."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert