Piano Forum logo
December 18, 2014, 02:33:45 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

How Can Modern Technology Contribute to a Great Piano Performance?

Why haven’t there been any fundamental changes of grand piano design since the 1870s? Some claim it is because manufacturers are afraid of getting beaten up in the marketplace if their pianos are seen as being “experimental”. Others say that musicians tend to be a conservative group of people and do not embrace radical changes to the touch or tone of their instruments. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A-flat major, BWV862 (WTC I)  (Read 2361 times)
andhow04
PS Silver Member

« on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »

the prelude and fugue in a-flat from the first book; the prelude is in the dance style, buoyant and rhythmic, which appeals to me a lot.similar in some ways to the e-flat fugue in book II.
the fugue is a four voice fugue that i treated in an organistic way, meaning when the subject disappears for several bars and returns in the bass, i imagined a stronger pedal registration.

the next one i have to learn, F# from book II, is a a bit longer than many, but i am determined to finish it before the new year, and mark the half-way point of the WTC project!

(23)

Flash mp3 player

* Prelude in A-flat major, BWV862.mp3 (1274.04 KB - downloaded 137 times.)

Flash mp3 player

* Fugue in A-flat major, BWV862.mp3 (1840.57 KB - downloaded 136 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

pianoplayjl
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:04 AM »

Nice; just wanted to say that it sounded lovely and great.

JL

A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification.
davidjosepha
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:02 AM »

Very beautifully played! I really like the way you played the Prelude especially. Thanks for linking me to this. I think it will be very helpful.

PS I only commented on this so that there are now 3 WTC A-flat majors on the front page of the Audition Room Tongue
andhow04
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:30:04 AM »

Very beautifully played! I really like the way you played the Prelude especially. Thanks for linking me to this. I think it will be very helpful.

PS I only commented on this so that there are now 3 WTC A-flat majors on the front page of the Audition Room Tongue

thanks for listening! hehe, yes, actualyl when i first learned this i hardly knew the music. but not only are there three on the front page currently, at least one other person and maybe two posted a version in the past couple of months.  i guess this is a popular selection and i never knew it

rachmaninoff_forever
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:52:19 AM »

OOAAAOAEOOAAEEEEOAAAHH soo food!

After hearing that though...  I feel kinda salty. Lips Sealed
EDIT:

I mean good.  Not food.

But anyways, I have a couple questions.  Fingering do you use for measure 10?  And the very first C in that measure...  Is it acceptable to ignore it?  Would anyone find out?

I noticed that you detached some parts intentially.  Could you get away with detaching the first three notes of the tenor voice in measure 7?  As long as I detach other notes throughout the fugue so it's consistent.  Because whenever I try to glue them, they become a little too drenched.

And what microphone did up use to record this?

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain.
andhow04
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »

OOAAAOAEOOAAEEEEOAAAHH soo food!

After hearing that though...  I feel kinda salty. Lips Sealed
EDIT:

I mean good.  Not food.

But anyways, I have a couple questions.  Fingering do you use for measure 10?  And the very first C in that measure...  Is it acceptable to ignore it?  Would anyone find out?

You mean the c in the bass? of course you cant ignore it... its hard to type out the fingering because that bar is complicated so here it is voice by voice.  the fingering in the bass line, starting on the c is:
5 4 3 5 3 4 3 5 3
the fingering for the tenor voice is:
2 1 1 2 (F in right hand) 1 1

I noticed that you detached some parts intentially.  Could you get away with detaching the first three notes of the tenor voice in measure 7?  As long as I detach other notes throughout the fugue so it's consistent.  Because whenever I try to glue them, they become a little too drenched.

And what microphone did up use to record this?

in measure 7 i dont see a tenor voice. in this fugue i used articultion as a way to show the dramatic structure. you can also use it for local nuance and vocal effect, but thats up to you. you can really do anything you want to. the challenge is wedding your articulation and timing and everything so strongly to the music that it seems like it has to be that way.. because in bach there are so many possibilities we have to find the ones that are the most convincing...

i used a cheap thing caled tunetalk which plugs into the bottom of an ipod, and records a track directly onto the ipod. then you can sync it to your computer. it records as a .wav file. i put it about 5 feet from the piano with a half opened lid.

rachmaninoff_forever
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »

You mean the c in the bass?

I meant the middle C. Because the main theme goes like, Ab Eb C Ab F Db Eb. But there's two C's right next to each other and it's difficult for me to get the voice out.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain.
qpalqpal
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »

I think the fugue was beautifully played. The voices well voiced. Thank you for contributing with a WELL PLAYED piece

Working on:
Bach Invention 7 (also Tureck's book)
Clementi Sonatina 3
Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux no. 3
Skrjabin Prelude op.11 no.4
Joplin The Favorite Rag
starstruck5
PS Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

If you ever release a CD of the complete set -I will buy it -

When a search is in progress, something will be found.
andhow04
PS Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »

I meant the middle C. Because the main theme goes like, Ab Eb C Ab F Db Eb. But there's two C's right next to each other and it's difficult for me to get the voice out.

no you have to get it out. otherwise missing the third

thanks star struck for the very nice compliment

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: