Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Prokofiev Sonata No. 2 Scherzo  (Read 1636 times)

Offline 88keysyamaha

• PS Silver Member
Prokofiev Sonata No. 2 Scherzo
on: December 12, 2011, 01:07:49 PM
I am working on the Sonata No. 2 by Prokofiev and have encountered a question in the Scherzo movement.  On measures 12 and 14 in the treble clef there is a line going from d to d#(reading bass staff notes in treble clef in mm12).  In measure 14 the same line indicated from b to b#.  What does this mean?

Offline haydnseeker

• PS Silver Member
Re: Prokofiev Sonata No. 2 Scherzo
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:45 PM
It's a way of indicating that the natural and sharp are both played together.  Thus in b12, the sixth RH quaver is a 3-note chord D natural - D sharp - C.  The other instances (bars 10, 14, 25 and the corresponding places in the reprise) are similar.

I don't know what edition you have, but in mine (Boosey and Hawkes 'authentic' edition) these chords are notated with an oblique stem running from the beam to one of the noteheads (though the oblique is missing in b12 and has been very clumsily added in b10).

There are other solutions to this notational problem.  Consult Music Notation by Gardner Read for a full explanation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Notation-Manual-Practice-Crescendo/dp/0800854535/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323731823&sr=1-1

Messiaen often has chords of this kind but doesn't use the extra stem, e.g. in Vingt Regards no. 15, at the second quaver a chord E natural - A natural - A sharp is notated on a single stem: there are two A noteheads, one either side of the stem, and the one to the left of the stem is preceded by both a sharp and a natural.

Offline 88keysyamaha

• PS Silver Member
Re: Prokofiev Sonata No. 2 Scherzo
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:30 AM
Thank you so much.  That answered my question and that is how I have been practicing it.  My edition is International Music Company.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert