Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement  (Read 15005 times)

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
[Video] Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement
on: February 06, 2012, 04:19:37 AM
My practice video again...
Sorry for some unnecessary mistakes, it’s still difficult for me to play this piece perfectly.
I know I still need to improve, so will be very glad to hear any comments/ suggestion .

Thanks a lot in advance.
Best Regards,
Fajri

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Re: [Video] Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:14:30 AM
No response  :(   ......

But may I know why please, any criticism are ok too ..

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:58:52 AM
Hi Faj,
IMO you have dramatically improved!!! The tempo is good, and your accuracy too is much better. Keep on polishing   some spots here and there, working above all at fluidity: but most of the job is  done, and well.  Bravo!!!
Marg

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:17:48 PM
No response  :(   ......

But may I know why please, any criticism are ok too ..

Excellent, it's a demanding piece.

I found a clip on youtube, it's Beethoven performing this sonata

" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about playing a few wrong notes -accept them -it is recordings which have imposed a kind of tyrranical perfection -

I think you play this with the right intensity -maybe you could explore ways of getting more contrast in dynamics and tone colour -but very good all in all.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:14:19 PM
You've got the apparatus to play this sonata.  Technically, at least.  I still have to hear some music!  ;D  you've got a fine hand with great finger dexterity.  And this movement can be played at this speed (it's usually a bit faster) IF you've got a grasp of the colors and the driving rythmic pulse.  As soon as my thumb heals I can send you a few tips.  In the meantime, practise it much slower and look closely at the dynamic indications.  Those runs up the piano are exactly that: piano!  The first of the two chords following that is sforzando.  This movement is actually more piano then forte.  What gives it the dramatic drive is the rythm and the contrasting sforzandi.

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 03:13:00 AM
Thanks so Much for comment, suggestion and criticism !!

Costicina, thanks for motivating me and your kind comment

Zheer, thanks for your comment and video suggest I already watched that. Yes, I want to play like that too   :)

starstruck5 , thanks so much for your forgiveness of my wrong note and your kind direction to my improvement.

And Birba, thanks a lot for your teaching. you are a great pianist and a great teacher.
Looking forward to your tip. hope your thumb heals soon.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:31:50 PM
I must say it is very hard to get this sonata completely right at full speed and I must commend you on the effort. When listening, the wrong notes never bothered me and I can tell you that your soul and passion was there but I feel you can put more in it. But master the expression first! Once you have the expression in the bag, you pretty much learned the whole piece. The arpeggios never bothered you much but the alternating notes in the right hand immediately after the intro arpeggios are one of the sections you need to work on most. But really, to get this far even for me is just amazing and you deserve so much credit to embark on such a hellish piece.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05:00 PM
Thanks a lot JL !
thanks for your comment, positive criticism and guidance ... yes I still need to work on it .
when start learning this, I thought this is not so difficult, but I was wrong. you are right this is a hellish piece.

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 04:09:10 PM
Faji, thanks for your hardwork on this piece :D. good work.

Apart from what have had said by others.

This is my word: Work on your phrasings, and let the piano sing. I MEAn SING....do not be afraid to show your emotions. There are lots places your top rh notes need to bring it out more and hold a slight longer, if not use pedal.

Look forward to your next one. 8)

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:30 PM
thanks a lot johnmar ! thanks so much for your very good point.
for the "next one", I uploaded my new video just now  :)

once again, thank you johnmar..

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 02:24:49 PM
No response  :(   ......       But may I know why please, any criticism are ok too .. 

Hehe ;D !!!
Quite frustrating isn't it!? Not to worry, it does NOT necessarily mean that you played horribly. We have had posts here which did not get any comment at all, negative or positive and ended up buried in page 2 or 3 and eventually "died a natural death".  There are quite a many reasons why some do not comment and one of those is that they do not feel at ease commenting on a piece they have not studied or played. Others might feel that the poster plays it better than them. Others have been teaching for years and just feel tired of posting comments ..... etc....etc....

Not to worry and do not put so much meaning to it! ;D 
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 08:05:17 AM
I agree with Emill, Unfornately our human natural tends to be biased and jealous. This is very common in workplace, or even ACROSS the whole age group no matter where you go where you from.

I tried to be as fair as possible, because I have been thru the same progress.

Offline pianoisthebest23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 11:34:44 PM
I have been working on this piece as well lately  :D I would recommend listening to Mark Salman's recording of this, his dynamics and style are fabulous and have really helped me a lot!

"Time is still the best critic, and patience the best teacher." - Frederic Chopin

Offline kmshultz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:38 PM
dude nice job

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:09 AM
There are quite a many reasons why some do not comment and one of those is that they do not feel at ease commenting on a piece they have not studied or played. Others might feel that the poster plays it better than them. Others have been teaching for years and just feel tired of posting comments ..... etc....etc....

This is indeed the case - I typically intend to post on a great many more threads than I actually do. Even as a teacher (and in this case on a piece that I have studied myself quite extensively) I generally do not post until I have bothered to test my advice at a piano, and when relating to technique, also experiemented with what the OP's is currently doing to ascertain some certainty of the exact problem I want to address - AND can present it in video that I feel is not likely to be misunderstood..

^Which means I usually don't get around to it before the thread has been buried.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert