Piano Forum

Topic: Scarlatti, Fandango  (Read 8818 times)

Offline alsimon

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti, Fandango
on: February 11, 2012, 07:29:06 PM
I found this splendid fandango by Scarlatti :

https://classicalmusictoolbar.com/blog/2012/01/antonin-dvorak/video-luisa-morales-domenico-scarlatti-fandango-classical/

Does anyone have informations about this piece? It is definitely not in the Kirkpatrick list.

Al

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti, Fandango
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:53:21 PM
I only found information that the manuscript is privately owned. I wonder if  the sheet music has even been published. Also it seems the work is only believed, not proven, to been composed by Scarlatti. So no help here, sorry.

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:12:53 PM
There is no such piece.  The piece you are listening to is thought to have been written by a student of Soler.  I'm familiar with the piece, but not with where to obtain the sheet music.  Have you considered Soler's own Fandango (which is also assumed to have been written by a student of Soler, but it is common to attribute it to Soler)?  It's similar:

Sheet music is widely available for this piece.  However, like many of Soler's (and Scarlatti's) works, it's extremely difficult.  A somewhat easier work that you might be interested in, in so much as that it has similar character, is Rameau's Le Rappel des Oiseaux (although without the Spanish flavor):

In general, I would recommend looking through the shorter works by Rameau, Couperin and Soler if you are interested in this type of music.  Scarlatti is, in my opinion, the creme de la creme, but there are plenty of brilliant works by slightly lesser-performed (but still well-known) composers.

Offline alsimon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:16 PM
thank you for your replies

Offline alkan2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 07:00:38 PM
I know it's late  ;D
but i found this: it's based on a manuscript, but the interpretations vary consistently: Have fun!
https://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=77076
Currently on:
Bach - WTK Book 1 n. 5-6
Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique
Rachmaninov - Polichinelle op. 3
Studies from Clementi and Moscheles
Telemann - Fantasias 1-2 in D
Haydn - b minor Sonata

Offline mcloney1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 10:28:54 PM
I know its been a few years, but since this forum page shows up on google very quickly with a search of the Scarlatti fandango, I might as well put this here. Concerning the manuscript, it is not in a private collection, but a public archive in Tenerife, specifically Archivo Histórico Provincial de Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and is part of the Zárate-Cólogan Collection, Ms. 276. I have a copy of this Ms. and have made a new edition after the manuscript https://imslp.org/wiki/Fandango_del_Sigr._Scarlate_(Scarlatti,_Domenico) it contains in addition to the Fandango several other works which I do not know much about at this time. There are several other freely available editions of this on the internet, but considering they all contain the same errors in relation to the manuscript, I suspect these have all been based on an earlier publication, possibly the first from the 80's if I remember correctly.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert