Piano Forum logo
November 24, 2014, 02:34:15 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Live Streamed Piano Recital with Murray McLachlan

A new piano recital series has been launched in Stockholm this fall. The first recital, with pianist Peter Jablonski took place on September 15 and today, you can hear British pianist Murray McLachlan play live from The Royal Academy of Fine Arts. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Piano Levels or Grades - is there a standard criteria ?  (Read 1141 times)
pianoplunker
PS Silver Member

« on: February 15, 2012, 06:17:02 AM »

I see alot of posts on here that refer to Grades or Levels. Example: "That piece is certainly a level 7 work".  Or " I just finished Grade 1, now what do I do ?"    I remember learning Eckstein Piano level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and there were other publishers that had their levels too.  Is there a standard that is referred to for what defines a piano level?  I understand that Level 10 is probably more involved than Level 1 but is this the type of thing where I can call it level 10 and you call it level 1 ? How is it determined ?  Speed ? Length ?  Flats or sharps ?     
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
ajspiano
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »

It's based on both the musical difficulty and technical difficulty.

Tempo may sometimes be a factor, but really ther are slow pieces that are difficult and faster ones that are much easier.. Likewise there are horrendously difficult pieces in c major (no. Of sharps not a factor)

Think more like..  "how difficult is it to coordinate the hands, are they doing similar things or are they vastly different?" - "do you have to traverse large distances over the keys quickly or can your hands basically stay in the one place?" - "do you have to play multiple melodies or counter melodies and balance them dynamically?" - "complicated rhythms or is everything onthe beat?"
cjp_piano
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »

There are many different systems that have graded repertoire: ABRSM, RCM, TAP and others. Look them up for more info =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: