Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Levels or Grades - is there a standard criteria ?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Piano Levels or Grades - is there a standard criteria ?
on: February 15, 2012, 06:17:02 AM
I see alot of posts on here that refer to Grades or Levels. Example: "That piece is certainly a level 7 work".  Or " I just finished Grade 1, now what do I do ?"    I remember learning Eckstein Piano level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and there were other publishers that had their levels too.  Is there a standard that is referred to for what defines a piano level?  I understand that Level 10 is probably more involved than Level 1 but is this the type of thing where I can call it level 10 and you call it level 1 ? How is it determined ?  Speed ? Length ?  Flats or sharps ?     

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Levels or Grades - is there a standard criteria ?
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:47:56 AM
It's based on both the musical difficulty and technical difficulty.

Tempo may sometimes be a factor, but really ther are slow pieces that are difficult and faster ones that are much easier.. Likewise there are horrendously difficult pieces in c major (no. Of sharps not a factor)

Think more like..  "how difficult is it to coordinate the hands, are they doing similar things or are they vastly different?" - "do you have to traverse large distances over the keys quickly or can your hands basically stay in the one place?" - "do you have to play multiple melodies or counter melodies and balance them dynamically?" - "complicated rhythms or is everything onthe beat?"

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Levels or Grades - is there a standard criteria ?
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:24:29 PM
There are many different systems that have graded repertoire: ABRSM, RCM, TAP and others. Look them up for more info =)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert