Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3  (Read 7669 times)

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
[Video] Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3
on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:54 PM
Another Schubert 90/3 ....

My video:

Hope someone can enjoy it,
Thanks a lot in advance to take your time to watch this, Any comment, suggestion and criticism are most welcome.

Best Regards,
Faj

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Re: [Video] Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:06:19 PM
You can add some more expression and tone colour too. Where was the passion? But unless my ears were decieving me, I think you did at least try to add a little bit of expression, which was good. I love this piece right now. Having said that, I did enjoy it. You did bring out the melody at the beginning and I think the accompaniment can be a lot more quieter. But a good job, overall and Schubert is not easy to play.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline frogtester

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 03:16:20 PM
I agree with pianoplayjl. Great job! I feel you can connect the phrases more, and try giving the melody more of a shape- right now it sounds a bit too mechanical. Raising your wrists slightly more than you do in the vid will make it easier to keep the accompaniment quieter.

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:26:27 PM
It's really hard to play at your best  when that video camera is recording! I think you did a really fine job -this piece requires sooo much artistry.  Your interpretation right now is beautiful -but this piece can ALWAYS be more beautiful -that is waht makes it so difficult.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:53 PM
Well done ! You have it securely under the fingers, now to make it a little more flowing and singing.
The LH notes could generally be a bit softer, and you could use more dynamics, subtle rubato, and phrasing. All that will come, I think, when you feel ever more comfortable with the piece. I thought I heard a couple of read errors, you may want to check the score.
Sounds and looks like a very nice grand you play there. Why not open the lid ? It sounds a bit muffled with everything closed.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:06:50 PM

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:15:13 PM
Hi faj,

You play this impromptu with confidence and care, producing much beauty. The melody is voiced well in the right hand and always shines through, and you draw a very nice tone from the piano.  The 4th and 5th fingers carry most responsibility for connecting the legato melody.  To attain that singing legato, some pianists like to sing the melody in their minds as they play.  I was intrigued by birba's excellent suggestion on reducing tension while etching the melody.  You have a nice evenness in the filigree accompaniment within the right hand and keep it unobstrusive.  Your pedaling is judicious throughout. Very nice.  

As for dynamics, most of this work is marked pp and is even ppp at times.  (For ppp try leaning backward on the bench until your forearms feel as though they are floating on air with your hands over the notes. It should, along with soft pedal creating a different timbre, help to attain that extra level of quietness. Schubert allows a bit of Fz in bass harmonies now and then, and there are a couple of short moments at f until the last page where there are a couple of ffz.  Yet for the most part this is a very quiet, tranquil piece.  That raises the difficulty of adding color.  So you'll need to exhaust every dynamic change Schubert allows.  Of great importance is executing the many < cresc. decresc.> notations. Those breathe more life into the music too.  The different timbre of the soft pedal can also provide variety of color as already mentioned.

This is one of those pieces where the pianist layers the sound, which you attend to well.  The RH melody, of course, takes first priority in the foreground.  The resonant bass harmonies, although accompaniment, are more important in my opinion than the filigree accompaniment in the RH which is last priority. But those bass harmonies still cannot compete with the melody in volume, as they are background, yet important harmonic changes need to be apparent.  There are moments too when the bass harmonies contribute scalar passages (measures 19, 51-52, 58, 65, 79-80 as examples). Scales are extremely important in musical understanding, so these always need to be made apparent to the listener.  They don't call for exaggerated emphasis, but enough to make their presence known.

Finally, I agree with cbreemer.  If your room acoustics will not permit the piano lid to be fully raised, could you perhaps raise it on the shorter lid prop for a serene piece such as this one?  It would allow more of the sound to escape the piano case giving the music an even richer sound.

Again, faj, wonderful playing!

David  

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:43:47 PM
Hi All , thanks so much to listen to this and your very kind comments, criticsm and advices.

Again, at first, please forgive my English

Actually I'm very satisfied with this video except some technical problem as mentioned by frogtester/cbreemer  and like JL said almost no passion. Yes, my problem is tend to shy to express feelings which is very important for musician.  but this is diffrent when I play piano alone without anyone hear or video recording as mentioned by starstruck5.

Birba, You are so kind to take your time to take care and help people like me to improve.  Beside being a good pianist and teacher, You are a good man.  Thanks so much for your tecnical / musical advice.

Regarding  tempo, I really meant to choose my  tempo and I want to play this quite, soft, trangulle,, a little  romantical sadness but hesitated to show frustation or anger.

And David, as I always mentioned, your schubert impromptu 90/1 is the best for me. Better then anyone alse  I'v ever heard.  Now I got compliment,  precious tip and advice from you! 
Thanks so much.

cbreemer, thanks for your compliment to my piano.  well, this is actually the same piano I used to record Moonlight 3rd mvt and chopin sonata no.3 finale as you can hear in my other posting.
Also I use the same a conventional sony handycam.
It sounds better here maybe because I play this much softly .
I opened lid during recorded chopin sonata, and you can hear a lot of sound clip there.
well, since this is  a conventional handycam, The sound reproduction (tone balance,  frequency respone, dynamic range etc relatively uncorrect ecpecially at high level sound volume.  sorry for that tough I'm very satisfied with this one.

Best Regards,
Fajri

Offline tekime

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:43 PM
I absolutely LOVE this piece and really enjoyed listening to you play. I'm not really qualified to comment from a professional perspective, but overall it sounded marvelous. Perhaps work on the flow a little bit, although it seemed like you warmed up to it after the first minute or so.

Anyway, I'm not very helpful, but thanks for sharing. :)

And is it just me, or was someone sneezing in the background?

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:07:19 AM
Thanks a lot tekime !
I'm happy you enjoyed listen to it.

It's not someone sneezing what you heard, but the noise of my piano chair.

Best wishes,
Fajri

Offline tekime

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 06:46:24 AM
Ahh okay, sounded a little like a distant sneeze at around 1:00, hehe.  ;D

I don't know how some people can call Schubert mechanical. I'm listening again now and it just about brings tears to my eyes. Marvelous! I dream about being able to play this. :)

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 02:07:28 PM
hello!
Nice to know you are a fellow Malay ...  and would just like to let you know that I enjoyed the way you played this Schubert piece.  I have always loved the Op.90 Nos. 2-3-4 ....
I noticed though that you seem to be tense and this may just be hampering to a certain extent your ability to bring out the romance of the melody (although some say what romance? when is is just repetitive!). But I am sure with more exposure this will be lessened.  Thanks ...
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert