Piano Forum logo
January 18, 2017, 04:03:21 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Congratulations Maurizio Pollini 75!

On January 5th the Italian pianist celebrated his 75th birthday. Piano Street congratulates one of the great pianists of our time and shares a lovely filmed portrait on his life. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedaling in Beethoven's Fur Elise  (Read 8467 times)
vmackerman
PS Gold Member

« on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:36 PM »

Looking for pedaling suggestions for my student for Fur Elise. I have two copies, one with pedaling marked, one without. I know how I play it, but I think I often use the pedal too much for this style of music so looking for objective advice. Thanks.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Für Elise
j_menz
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:45:10 AM »

Use the marked score.

I'm somewhat disturbed that a piano teacher wouldn't be confident teaching Fuer Elise. Roll Eyes

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
fleetfingers
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:02 AM »

Suggest to your student to pedal during the left hand arpeggios, and no pedal when the right hand plays.
johnmar78
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »

here is my 2 cents, just remember, the old classical days the piano had 2 strings, start from one-harsichord, and peopel start to pluck it too hard and it start to break. Lather, people started to invent a better keyboard-a piano with 2 strings....to get mor edynamics ff..long story..Ok you got the picture.

Now days our piano is more resonant than last decade playing with no pedals and betetr response, therefore you can imagine" back to their time", he/she maked with pedal MAY not be necessary for modern piano interpretation. Again, music is not science it is an art. Use it at your own wish. Wink
cjp_piano
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »

Do you have an urtext edition? Beethoven wrote pedal for mm. 2-4 and 9-11. He also wrote "con pedale" for the section at m. 59.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: