Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Ballade in g-minor (live recording from national piano competition)  (Read 5971 times)

Offline finnishpianist

• PS Silver Member

Hi! This is my first post. I have to say at first I´m sorry my bad english.

I am an anonymous pianist from Finland. I won a national piano competition 2012, and this Chopin Ballade is one of pieces I played there. I hope you´ll listen whole piece - I think it is a little bit different version! And I would be so happy if someone commented!

This is some english practising in same way :)

- FinnishPianist

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Quote"I am an anonymous pianist from Finland"..do not be shy, show your true identity like myself. No one is going to hack your account or take your money. If you are so proud of your Finish fatherland, show your true colour. :D

Offline megadodd

• PS Silver Member
Very beautiful, bravo Sir!
Repertoire.
2011/2012

Brahms op 118
Chopin Preludes op 28
Grieg Holberg Suite
Mendelssohn Piano trio D minor op 49
Rachmaninoff Etude Tabelaux op 33 no 3 & 4 op 39 no 2
Scriabin Preludes op 1

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Beautiful and congratulations!

I am a Finn too and since we are kind of reserved by nature, we'll come out only when really necessary  :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
You're right.  I've never heard this ballade performed in this way.  You take lots of liberties and some that go against the printed notes.  But you convinced me.  Your pianissimi were exquisite. The inner note playing was very subtle.  It was a superlative interpretation.  I'm very curious to know:  you're age, the edition of the ballades you were using, and whether your teacher had any influence in your interpretation.
I'm curious to hear more of your playing.  Any Beethoven in the competition? 

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
p.s.  Do you know an Eric Tavartsterna - or something like that?

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
The best performance of this Ballade I have heard since Zimerman.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline finnishpianist

• PS Silver Member
Thank you all!! I´m so pleased for your comments :) This is very important piece for me, so it feels great you liked my interpretation.

@birba:

I´m 17 years old. Maybe that is why my playing has a lot of little mistakes. Other reason could be a flow I had when I played this one; I didn´t play it just like I had planned. Some ideas came at that moment.

The edition I´m using: G. Henle Verlag (Urtext). (did you ask this?)

I have two teachers. What they usually tell me is how important it is to play just as composer have written. My teachers "cancel out" my craziest ideas, but they rispect a few of them.

Erik T. Tawaststjerna is a famous finnish pianist. He is known about his interpretations of Sibelius pianoworks. He was one of artistic team members in the competition I played.

My playing:

First round:
Scarlatti - sonata d minor k. 141
Scriabin - etude op. 8 no. 11
Lutoslawski - etude 2
Chopin - ballade 1

Second round:
Haydn - sonata e flat major no. 62
Debussy - jardins sous la pluie
Madetoja - "Leikki" and "Vanha muisto"
My own 6 piano etudes

Third round:
Chopin concerto no. 1 (this wasn´t recorded)

Anything you want to hear? I don´t have the Youtube channel but I can ask for "sokosti5" if he could upload some pieces more.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Very interesting, indeed!  The Haydn and your etudes.  You composed them? 

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member

Anything you want to hear? I don´t have the Youtube channel but I can ask for "sokosti5" if he could upload some pieces more.

You could also just attach the MP3 files to your messages on the forum, if they are not video recordings.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Hello!
Welcome to PianoStreet.
You are one fine pianist and I LIKE what I hear.
Thanks for sharing.

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline troglodyte

• PS Silver Member
Amazing. Spellbinding. I just wanted to hear the intro but couldn't stop listening. As said, completely unorthodox in some ways but always coherent and deeply emotional without becoming too sentimental. The most interesting contribution I've heard in a long time. In particular your use of dynamics is impressive. While I did hear some wrong notes they didn't bother me. Seems you have a more important agenda than just always hitting the right notes. Congratulations and hope to hear more of you.

Offline finnishpianist

• PS Silver Member
Thank you! :)

I´m sorry about I´m so late :D mp3-files cutting isn´t so easy to me. Anyway, there is Haydn and my 6 etudes. I am not satisfied with second round. Cold hands and too hasty..
About my etudes, I composed them about 3 years ago (14years old), so they have some romantic influences of course :) I´m composing 12 etudes for every minor key. As you can notice, every one of them includes same melody in different context.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
So far I only listened to your etudes.  WOW!  I am impressed.  You were 14 years old?!?!?  You're some kind of genius, probably.  I loved the 1st and I think the 4th one most of all.  But they were all so very much sincere and almost naive in their innocence.  Just joy in the piano.  That's all!

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
logged in to post Enzo's Saint Saens No.2 and ended up listening several times to the etudes.

So impressive for someone so young!!! ... (let me take that back) .... even for any age  your etudes are impressive. You deserve to WIN! CONGRATULATIONS ...
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert