Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: New Video Chopin op25-1  (Read 3623 times)

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
New Video Chopin op25-1
on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:15 AM
HI,
folks, here you go my new recording on new mics. Aagin, no cut/paste or any sound editing.

I hope you enjoy it.

I hope this will give you a good inspirations.

Welcome all feed backs.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: New Video Chopin op25-1
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:26 PM
Hi johnmar,

I enjoyed hearing your "Aeolean Harp" study.  Your tempo is about right.  I believe it's generally quite well played. Probably the greatest learning in this etude is to manage melody and accompaniment within the same hand, in this case the right hand.  For the most part you etch the melody very well while keeping the in-hand accompaniment even and quiet.  The left hand accompaniment undulates quietly in the background as it should.  I think the phrasing works quite well too.  

There are a few rough spots present and you know where they are.  What you should probably do with those is to give them intensive therapy.  Practice them slowly and deliberately starting with a few notes from the prior measure and include too a few notes from the following measure.  That way, as you improve those spots, you will have automatically integrated them into the surrounding context.  

You also have some opportunities to introduce more nuances into your interpretation.  I'd suggest listening to Alfred Cortot's rendition at YouTube.  Any piece he touched had incredibly poetry when he played it, so he was one of the greatest artists of all time.  I believe that would enable you to add a bit more of your own aesthetic finish to the piece.  Good work on this!

Your new mics sound good too.  Did you say elsewhere which one you chose?

David

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:10:41 PM
thanks David for your feedback. I think I overly emphasis the LH middle note a bit too much. Anyway, that is what I expected from your valuable write up. Meawhile still working hard on Chopin's op10-4 and op10-10. Op27-1.;op25-8.

Just let you guys know,  how much time I have been prpeparing this recording...hum...in combination with others...aprrox 2.5 hours a day for 7 days week X3 months intensive training both technical and shadow singing. :D

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:38:55 AM
It was not wasted time, John, you did a nice job!!!! :)

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:18:44 AM
Thanks Margarta. I enjoyed it very much.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:14:32 AM
It starts out very nice and there are beautiful moments in it, but the "cussion of air" that is supposed to be there to carry the melody on it's lofty way through the sky, this carpet of sound of the accompanying notes, has got a few holes in it. The little notes become very uneven at times and some of them don't appear at all, and it feels almost as if you had sometimes (not always) to jump to the next melody note to avoid a crash. So I'd work on this "cussion" or "carpet" of air, making it smooth and even and filling in the gaps.  

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:12:10 PM
thanks Wofi, but I have no idea what you are talking about.Cussion of air, you mean air cusion :D Did you study for this peice for perfomance exams?? I did this in 2006. But this is a better version that I did when I did my exams with a better recording rigs ....
About missing notes,,heeee we all do that :o. I played all notes but not pressing hard enough.. ??? I think it is easier to say than done.
Not only that, I might get my own composition played one day and you can give a good critic which I won one of the music comp in Australia. Search on Youtube see if you can find "pastrole" played by Riona.
 Sorry its not your cup of tea. This is just my interpretation I do what I have now.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:16:08 PM
thanks Wofi, but I have no idea what you are talking about.Cussion of air, you mean air cusion :D Did you study for this peice for perfomance exams?? I did this in 2006. But this is a better version that I did when I did my exams with a better recording rigs ....
Not only that, I might get my own composition played one day and you can give a good critic which I won one of the music comp in Australia. Serach on Youtube see if you can find "pastrole" played by Riona.

Sorry its not your cup of tea. This is just my interpretation.

"Air cussion", yes. It was a comparison. I intended to say that the accompaniment sounds often uneven and interrupted. I did not say you were playing badly. I only suggested what you might work on. And I did not say anything negative about your interpretation.

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:21:35 PM
I may be retired on that piece, I got too many eagers in other works. But I take it as an positive outcome from you. My next point out in mind for my next students who want to learn. May be my own kids :D

This week I had only one day rest apart from work away from PIANO. Tommororw resume my regid practice and I will submit another etude and you can give me a good feedback.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 01:08:04 PM
Why retire on that piece? It's on a good way :)

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 01:54:16 PM
Why retire on that piece? It's on a good way :)
hey Wofi, Once some one told me, we only live once, we move on to new things as we call it present. This is why I try not to going in a cirlcle. I might do something differnt interms of interpretatipon. But I do not want to tip the iceberg....heeee you know what I mean...

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:15:18 PM
Agree with all the other comments!  I would study this piece away from the piano occasionally -listen to the music in your head -whn you come to play it, I think it adds power and beauty somehow.  Hearing it in your head is like the dream, but it makes the reality all the more sweet.
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 05:08:06 AM
thanks everyone. I am having a such wonderful time here, that hearing all the valuable feedbacks. I felt good that I have made something useful that my parents always wanted me to play piano.
Meanwhile, I am strenching my arms and having a lamb bbq on Webber. ;), energy replacement for next session training. Thanks you.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert