Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Vintage Mrs. A. M. Virgil Practice Keyboard  (Read 5211 times)

Offline annasbananas

• PS Silver Member
Vintage Mrs. A. M. Virgil Practice Keyboard
on: March 05, 2012, 10:42:19 PM
Hello All!

I have a Vintage Mrs. A. M. Virgil Practice Keyboard with case.  I would like to sell it, but am not sure what it is worth, nor do I know much about its history.

Does anyone have any input about pricing and/or any information about its origin (see attached pic)?

Thank you!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Vintage Mrs. A. M. Virgil Practice Piano
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:07:14 PM
That is very interesting. It appears to be a half-sized version of mine without legs. Mrs Virgil was apparently the wife of the inventor of the large version.

https://www.operas.com.ar/Music-Encyclopedia/89182/Virgil-practice-clavier.htm

It still has lead in it, I presume, and is therefore pretty heavy to cart around ? Mine was supposed to be portable but that is ridiculous. It was hernia city just getting it into the house.

Come to think of it, for isolated finger work without jumping around, the small version would be very useful. Its value, as with mine, is problematical. For a pianist who really wanted it you could probably name your price, but very few such players are likely to exist. I once tried to value mine for insurance purposes but soon gave up. Most antique dealers hadn't the foggiest idea what it was.

Are you a pianist ? Is it in working order ? If so, if there isn't a pressing need to get rid of it, I would suggest just hanging onto it and using it.  Even if it isn't in working order, those things are pretty simple and easy to fix. Of course if you do that, it is no longer regarded as a decent antique. On the face of it, I think yours might be a lot rarer than mine.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline annasbananas

• PS Silver Member
Re: Vintage Mrs. A. M. Virgil Practice Keyboard
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:20:15 PM
Thank you for all the great info Ted!  I wasn't able to find much in my Google searches.  Everything I found was the model with the legs like yours.  Mine is actually pretty light and portable.  I'm sad to say that I've taken lessons a few times in my life, but haven't stuck with it.  Hopefully one of these days I will try again!

I'm still interested in selling it to someone that can enjoy it, either for practice or just as a collectors piece!

Thanks again!

Offline adanepst

• PS Silver Member
Re: Vintage Mrs. A. M. Virgil Practice Keyboard
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 07:28:38 PM
Dear annasbananas,

do you still have your Virgil practice clavier? I might be interested.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you,
adanepst
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert