Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin's  Raindrop prelude ( Op. 28, no 15)  (Read 10132 times)

Offline Chris_Rossoni

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's  Raindrop prelude ( Op. 28, no 15)
on: January 26, 2003, 05:35:46 AM
is this piece very hard?  it seems simple to listen to but i know sometimes they make it sound easy and it is really hard lol....

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's  Raindrop prelude ( Op. 28, no 15)
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 08:13:02 PM
Technically, it is surely among the easiest of Chopin's most popular compositions and its main challenge would be the repeated notes and mastering legato playing in both hands.  The key of D flat major may be difficult for novice players.
More difficult are the interpretive aspects of the piece including the phrasing,shaping of the melodic line and pedalling.  Particularly in the opening and closing sections of the piece the musical textures are very transparent and exposed and a real test in  achieving a beautiful cantilena in the right hand and a smooth, even left hand accompaniment.
It is a gorgeous piece and worth every moment of practice in overcoming its challenges.  

Offline Chris_Rossoni

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 09:10:57 PM
i was thinking about playing this piece at a recital..   I have 4 months to learn it so im sure that i can learn it by then.   If i don't like the way i play this song musically speaking then i won't play it lol.   i like the way horrowitz plays it.   The darker and low parts of the song have alot of power in his playing...

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 06:52:44 AM
You should be able to learn it comfortably in four months.  The middle section in C sharp minor is certainly dark and menacing, a wonderful contrast to the D flat major sections and it is not techically difficult.  An excellent recital  choice and I hope that you find it a joy to play.
Keep up the good work!
Robert.

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 01:24:51 AM
Yes, this is a wondrful piece and is not technically too difficult.  You should difinitely go for it.
8)
It's GREAT to be a classical musician!

Offline Rachmanoinoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 08:31:10 AM
It's funny you should mention this piece, I'm working on it right now!

go for it!  It's wonderful.... technically easy, but do you best to interpret it.  I use a lot of pedal (even when it doesn't "tell" you to) and experiment a lot.  You should do so, too!

(although watch out... Chopin is tricky in that he always changes notes around!!!)

Good luck!

Martin
Music is music, don't try to tamper with it

Offline Rachmanoinoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 08:32:15 AM
P.S. I don't mean for yo uto use a lot of pedal, I meant for you to experiment with what you like, etc.
Music is music, don't try to tamper with it
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert